Corel Painter 12 software  » Software  »
  • This program will provide a great experience within a single digital workspace
  • It makes it very easy to navigate the canvas and it’s ultra-convenient when I’m working with large images or when I’m zoomed in really close
  • I think they could have made it like a history log with something like 64 of the last brushes
  • I mean, I know that if you draw traditionally, you’ll have to deal with being meticulous of symmetry but that shouldn’t be the case on software
  • I tried it and I love it…it gives the cool appearance that the colour is seeping into the paper, and just makes your painting more life-like

• by Fuscero

If you’re a digital artist or if you ever even some much as tried to use the brushes in Photoshop, you really owe it to yourself to check out this program. If you enjoy painting or drawing, this program will be exceptional for your needs. This program will provide a great experience within a single digital workspace.

In this newer version of Corel Painter, the first thing you will notice is the new user interface. They created a streamlined approach, that is much more intuitive and it makes it so much easier to interact with and drastically reduces the learning curve for new beginners.

With the brush, you can resize it, change the opacity, grain, resaturation, jitter, and bleed. The colour palette is very intuitive. It’s this circle ring hoop thing with a triangle in the middle. What’s cool about it is that you can control your colours in a more natural way and you don’t need to use the RGB sliders that you would normally use on programs because this method gets quicker results. It’s split into two parts. The circle thing marker moves radially to control the hue and the triangle thing inside moves horizontally and vertically to control the saturation and

brightness. It just feels simple and brilliant.

Another useful tool is the navigator window. It makes it very easy to navigate the canvas and it’s ultra-convenient when I’m working with large images or when I’m zoomed in really close. You can also use this panel to adjust the zoom and rotation. I’m glad they added a rotation feature. A lot of other programs I’ve tried don’t have this and it helps me to position the canvas when I’m trying to draw big curves in my natural counterclockwise hand-motion direction.

Another good enhancement in this version is the brush palette and library. They’re just hundreds of brushes here to suit almost any kind of art style…and it’s not like they just put it for show. I’ve had a look at a lot of them and they look really useful for some creative endeavors. It evens saves your recently used brushes for easy access. Though, it only shows the last 8 recent brushes and sometimes I want to go back to a brush that I forgot and it was farther than 8 brushes ago so I don’t see it on this list. I think they could have made it like a history log with something like 64 of the last brushes.

In this version, it’s also extremely easy to save the customization settings that you make on your brushs. This often happens with me because I find a brush that I want to use later but I want to switch to something else for now. You just save it as a variant and you can even still maintain the same color that you were on. I use this often and I’m glad they included it.

One of the bigger changes in this version is the mirror painting tool. Adjustable by the settings you have, it will basically mimics what you draw on one side on the other side in reflection. I remember how much trouble I had with symmetry before. I mean, I know that if you draw traditionally, you’ll have to deal with being meticulous of symmetry but that shouldn’t be the case on software. The technology should help in this type of situation. Before this feature was added, I had to try to draw only one side of a picture and the duplicate in manually on the other side. This was hard because it made my lines really uneven (because I couldn’t tell how it would ...

• Corel Painter 12 software
      turn out) and it didn’t look natural…so when I would add two sides together, it would have this terrible overlap and would look kinda funny. My work isn’t a joke! This tool gets rid of those problems and plots your mirror image while on the other side while you’re drawing. Even better is that you can split the canvas into more than two halfs..into something like 4ths, 8ths, and 16ths. I honestly rarely split it into more than 2 halves but I could see it coming in handy for drawing something like snowflakes or flowers…or something. I was actually messing with it once and created some cool fractal images.

One of the best features of this program, in my opinion, is its natural media capabilities. I think Corel Painter is the one art program that set the standard for realistic media brushes in the digital art industry. It does a fantastic job of simulating real-world art techniques. One of the newer additions to their realistic brush set is watercolour. I tried it and I love it…it gives the cool appearance that the colour is seeping into the paper, and just makes your painting more life-like. I don’t think any other art program

does watercolour and even if they do, I bet they don’t do it as good as this. I mean, I’ve seen technology simulate a lot of real things but this just blew me away. Another cool brush they have is called “wet oils”, which simulates oil painting in the way that it smudges.

On top of these additions, there’s also some other enhancements. It now has Windows 64-bit support. I mean, if you’re doing digital media, you really should have a 64-bit operating system (and I do), and this helps the program run much faster. It even improved their Photoshop support. You see, you can correctly preserve colors and layers when transferring files between Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter. This could save people some time for people who import and export a lot. I mean, I guess that might come in handy if you’re working in a group or something. I don’t import to Photoshop because I don’t use Photoshop anymore because I have this awesome program.

There’s a bunch of other stuff I didn’t mention but I think that’s all the important stuff. So just go buy it, and have fun…I mean, it’s not too expensive and you get a great-value product.

Omar Allaoua says :

re : I tried it and I love it…it gives the cool appearance that the colour is seeping into the paper, and just makes your painting more life-like
I have both Photoshop and Corel Painter 12. Corel Painter 12 is my favorite CG program. It is frat for sketching all the way to finishing a piece of CG art. I use it for many tasks creating CG art, cartooning, and drawing yonkoma manga in color. It is a very easy to use program. I love it and use it more than photoshop (I use photoshop for editing photos).

I use my version of Corel painter 12 on my iMac with a Wacom Intuos 4 medium tablet.

The interface is clear and not distracting and it feels closer to working with real media. It is easier to try new techniques with this software than with real media you can delete layers or undo which you can’t do with real media.

For manga I only need one other software package Manga Studio which has everything I need for black and white manga - screen tones, word balloons and more.

With both Corel Painter 12 and Manga Studio EX4 I am able to do all of my manga and CG work without photoshop.

I love Corel Painter 12

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3019041608000730/k2311a0419/4.19.13