Two Steps From Hell (artist)  » Music  »
  • It might sound kinda weird but after drawing for a while with some TSFH, I stop hearing the music and it just becomes a part of the experience
  • I thought a lot of the songs in it were a bit too long and non-sustaining
  • The one album I think succeeded in the risk-taking was called “Two Steps from Heaven” (oh the irony…it burns)
  • My favorite song by this artist is “It Tells A Story”
  • I know I won’t like every new thing that they put out there but as long as they keep “doing”, I’ll keep listening

• by Fuscero

The artist Two Steps From Hell was created circa 2006 by Thomas J. Bergeson and Nick Pheonix. I would most likely compare their sound to the likes of Hans Zimmer, Audiomachine, and Immediate Music. It’s mostly dramatic/ intense music for stuff like movie trailers.

What I really like about their music is that they don’t ever use lyrics. This is just perfect for me. I draw a lot..and I find that listening to regular music with lyrics just disrupts my attention on whatever I’m doing and I can’t really focus. But when I listen to TSFH, since there’s no lyrics, the critical side of my brain doesn’t have to analyze the song and I can just take in the raw sound of instruments without getting distracted. It’s kinda hard to describe. When I’m drawing, I kinda need that concentration….and when there’s no lyrics, the music just fills the background of your mind, kinda spurring the artistic foreground without getting in the way.

I find that I’m able to achieve a pseudo-daydream drawing state with this type of music, where you temporarily lose your notion

of time because of the immersion. It might sound kinda weird but after drawing for a while with some TSFH, I stop hearing the music and it just becomes a part of the experience. I couldn’t achieve that with regular music because the lyrics just sticks out in front.

Also, I listen to it while I lift weights and jog because you know…it got that whole epic theme thingy that pumps me up.

I’ve heard other artists try the whole epic theme thingy and I don’t really like it. Artists like Globus, Epic Score, and City of the Fallen just try too hard to make it epic and they sacrifice the flow of the song.

Some of TSFH’s most known songs are on the albums, “Invincible”, “Dynasty”, and “Nero”. I really like these albums. They just do a good job of conveying meaning without using words..it’s beautiful.

Now I don’t think Two Steps From Hell is perfect. I certainly don’t like every album equally. In a couple of albums, they deviate from their main theme of dramatics and epic feel. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that..and I do realize that all artists have this unexplainably ridiculous urge to try something different after a while (cough cough Linkin Park).

For instance, Thomas Bergerson from TSFH made a separate album by himself called Illusions. It’s kinda still under the Two Steps from Hell branding but it was just him without Nick Pheonix’s help. It’s not his best work, in my opinion. I thought a lot of the songs in it were a bit too long and non-sustaining.

They had two percussive albums: “Balls to the Walls” and “All Drums Go To Hell”. Since there were just percussion instruments, I felt kinda indifferent to it. I also didn’t really care much for the albums: “All Drones go to Hell” and “Ashes”; these albums were more about fright and fear. I don’t hate these albums or anything…in fact, I appreciate the fact that they can take a risk and try something new.

The one album I think succeeded in the risk-taking was called “Two Steps from Heaven” (oh the irony…it burns). You see…usually TSFH’s normal musical feel involves a lot ...

• Two Steps From Hell (artist)
      of lower instruments with low-octave notes on the tuba and French horn to give it that deep epic feel. This album kinda flipped that around and went for a more uprising feeling with lots of trumpets and higher-octave notes. It kinda had a superhero feel to it and I thought it sounded great.

My favorite song by this artist is “It Tells A Story”. It’s kinda different from their usual sound and it’s much slower. To me, it sounds like a story of a wounded soldier returning home alone after his comrades died in battle and then almost fainting and the villagers helping him walk back to the village and everyone in the village is rejoicing in tears at the arrival of the lone survivor of a brutal battle. That’s the thing about TSFH. Because there isn’t any lyrics, every listener can create their own meaning of the song through the suggestive nature of the song title and melodic mood. It’s brilliant.

I don’t really like their new album, Skyworld (2012), as a collective whole. It was more instrumentation than usual that caused volume crowding

and there wasn’t enough flow on some songs. I mean, it didn’t really sound consistent even in the album as a whole. In their older albums, it was clear when they were trying something new, like a horror album or something. This album is like the overexaggeration of trying new things. One song, they had a electric guitar thing going and in another song had this dubstep wobble thing, and some other songs sounded like an oversaturation of their normal style, and some other one had a chorus structure thingy. It’s not all bad. One song that really blew me away was “Blackheart”. This is kinda analogous to a vibe that I get with other artists. They would try new things….but when they get back to their normal self and instead reinvent it creatively, you’ll be reminded why you love the artist. “Blackheart” is probably my second favorite song.

I don’t know what the future holds for Two Steps from Hell but I’m excited. I know I won’t like every new thing that they put out there but as long as they keep “doing”, I’ll keep listening.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1419041607990730/k2311a0419/4.19.13