Smiley Face (movie)
2.5
  • After consuming the cupcakes she is so “inebriated” that she can barely function, so she decides the best thing to do would be to make a list of all the things she needs to accomplish that day especially since a friend of hers had gotten her an audition that she had been waiting for
  • One of these things was the storyline, which I think mirrored in a sense Jane F’s state of mind
  • If you watch the movie, you will realize that it seems to be very fragmented and not completely clear, and therefore, I believe that it is really a reflection of how Jane is seeing the world around her, especially when it is realized that the narrator in the first part of the movie who is speaking to her while she is on the amusement park ride
  • I thought that the style of filming as well as the fragmented storyline got a bit tiresome after a while, and therefore, within fifteen minutes of watching the movie I found it very hard to watch because it became almost painful to follow
  • However, I would recommend people to watch it for themselves to make their judgment

• by Redtape

I developed a liking for the comedy actress Anna Farris once she played the role of Cindy in the Scary movie series, and also played a few other comedy roles to my liking. Therefore, a part from the plot, this was why when I heard about the movie Smiley Face, I was interested in seeing it. I had seen no trailer of it, so I didn’t exactly know what to expect when I was watching it. However, after watching the movie I realized it was a little low budget, and not much what I would expect from one of Anna Farris’ movies. I also didn’t much like it, and thought that it could have been made a little better.

The movie follows a day in the life of an aspiring actress, Jane F, who is addicted to smoking cannabis. Her addiction is so bad that it negatively affects the life of

everyone around her, and this is further amplified when she eats all of her roommates weed cupcakes when she is already high. After consuming the cupcakes she is so “inebriated” that she can barely function, so she decides the best thing to do would be to make a list of all the things she needs to accomplish that day especially since a friend of hers had gotten her an audition that she had been waiting for. However, her current state makes it almost impossible to make the right decisions even though she has written her list, as well as it’s very hard for her to do the simplest things. Therefore, the movie shows her causing disaster after disaster as a result of her addiction, as well as her creating even more disasters in her attempt to remedy these situations.

As I mentioned, I wasn’t a huge fan of the movie, but

there were still a few things about it that I did appreciate. One of these things was the storyline, which I think mirrored in a sense Jane F’s state of mind. If you watch the movie, you will realize that it seems to be very fragmented and not completely clear, and therefore, I believe that it is really a reflection of how Jane is seeing the world around her, especially when it is realized that the narrator in the first part of the movie who is speaking to her while she is on the amusement park ride.

Another thing I appreciated about the movie was how it was filmed. Like the storyline, it was also a bit fragmented and jumbled in the sense that it seemed to go back and forth in time like what I imagine Jane would have been feeling. Parts of the film seem almost dream-like which I ...

• Smiley Face (movie)
      also imagine was how Jane was seeing the world.

Funny enough, I these are also two reasons why I didn’t like the movie. I thought that the style of filming as well as the fragmented storyline got a bit tiresome after a while, and therefore, within fifteen minutes of watching the movie I found it very hard to watch because it became almost painful to follow. It also became a little hard to watch someone destroying their life like that even though the movie did not mean for people to take it seriously.

One thing I didn’t mind much about the movie was the acting, which I didn’t think was too bad for a film that was low budget. I have begun to expect more mediocre acting from films that are low budget, since I’ve noticed over the past couple of years that low budget films seem to have more bad acting

in it that the bigger budget ones.

Overall, I never really thought the movie was very funny even though it was supposed to be a comedy. I think that it was a bit more annoying and hard to watch than funny at some points.

If I were to think of my favourite scenes, one of them would have to be one of the first where Jane F decides she is going to drive to the audition, and when she tries to reverse from the driveway, she finds it almost impossibly hard as a result of hallucinations and her inability to function. She also finds it frightening despite the fact that it a very simple task.

I’m on the edge about recommending this movie, especially since I realize that a lot of people seem to either like or hate it. However, I would recommend people to watch it for themselves to make their judgment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1118041607940730/k2311a0418/4.18.13