AHK-toong BAY-bi Covered, 2011 U2 Tribute Album
  • I found it very shocking that this album did not work
  • I did not experience enough thrill while I was listening to it
  • And I think that nine inch nails could've done a better job
  • Probably from all the songs of this album's station would be the last song for nine inch nails to cover but this cover sounds rather boring
  • I like the songs by Garbage, Depeche Mode, but the others were a little bit mediocre, and the one my Nine Inch Nails was pretty boring

• by mcguard85

I found it very shocking that this album did not work. I find it very strange. When I first found out about the fact that I was not an album coming out that was a cover of the iconic record by U2 from 1991, Achtung Baby, I was ecstatic. I was really very happy. But on some level I should not have been. On some level this album works but at the same time I expected it to be a lot better than it actually is. I did not experience enough thrill while I was listening to it. And interestingly I did not want to listen to this music repeatedly.

One listening was enough for many of the tracks, but not for all though. This album contains all of the 12 songs from the album released in 1991 covered by some really good musicians. And the songs are arranged in exactly the same order. But somehow these songs were not very exciting for me to listen to. Things begin with Zoo Station. And this cover is made by nine inch

nails. And I think that nine inch nails could’ve done a better job.

The sound that was created by Trent Reznor is his typical sound but it doesn’t work that well on Zoo Station. Probably from all the songs of this album’s station would be the last song for nine inch nails to cover but this cover sounds rather boring. The songs stretches too much. There is a too big emphasis on the instrumentals that do not seem to be developing a very good way. It’s interesting how the original versions seem to be more concise yet more fortunate arrangement from the point of view the instrumental lines then does this version. This song simply sounds kind of boring and while you while you are listening to it there are going to be several moments when you will simply wish that it had stopped before, that it would move on, and you want things to be developing more dynamically but it simply doesn’t happen. Even Better Than The Real Thing on this album is not a cover by anybody but

are remix of the original song.

From other songs that I would like to single out would be the cover of Until The End Of The World by Patti Smith. This song has a very characteristic feeling, and it has a very strong print of the style in which Patti Smith is delivering music. But somehow it doesn’t work on this song. For me the song Until The End Of The World was completely different from what to this cover is. I think that this cover lost the point of this song. The original Until The End Of The World is a very dynamic rock song with the masculine swagger, with confidence, with memorable lyrics. And Patty Smith sang this song in a very sad way as if it is a sad ballad, which i think is wrong.

Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses by Garbage is nice. I think that this probably is this the strongest cover from all of them. The sound is typical Garbage. The arrangement is very strong indeed. Aand Shirley Manson is singing very well ...

• AHK-toong BAY-bi Covered, 2011 U2 Tribute Album
      here as well. Her voice is intensive, she has enormous sound presence, she’s doing a marvelous job. And on this version all the right moments are highlighted.

The chorus sounds particularly magnificent. The cover of So Cruel by Depeche Mode is very good as well. This is the only cover that sounds very very close to the original. The voice and sound arrangement, the tempo are not changed. The song remains the same, the same in feeling. It retains the same character, and that on this song the intention of the original and the imprint of the artist who covers it combine really well. Mysterious Ways, covered by Snow Patrol, is also very good.

Snow Patrol didn’t decide to make this song hard or heavy, they retained the same original, fun and light approach. Ultraviolet by the Killers is not so good though because it sounds rather boring, even though this song in itself should be very far from boring, and its content and ideas are very exciting indeed. Acrobat by the Glasvegas is also a bit of a letdown,

and for exactly the same reason. The reason why this song didn’t work that well is because it lost its original intensity. This song, when it was performed by U2 on the original album, it had a lot of power. It was really the hardest song on the record, the heaviest one. The guitars were so hard and the chorus was so intense, but here this is not emphasized as much as it should be.

However, I do think that Love Is Blindness by Jack White is all right. Once again, it is not as touching as the original version is, and is a bit bland, but it is all right. Overall, my impression was not very good. It was probably because of the contrast that i had. I had expected this album to be simply brilliant, fantastic, perfect. I thought that I was going to listen to it again and again and again. But somehow it didn’t work this way.

I like the songs by Garbage, Depeche Mode, but the others were a little bit mediocre, and the one my Nine Inch Nails was pretty boring.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1417041607711030/k2311a0417/4.17.13