Sony Google TV NSZ-GS7
  • It has Notifications, All Apps, Live TV, Youtube, Google Play, Google Chrome, Sony Entertainment Network, etc. The Youtube application is presented really well…and I like the way the set it out on the screen
  • The image quality is great and I love watching Youtube videos on this TV
  • It’s not fantastic…I mean, the performance isn’t brilliant, but it’s definitely acceptable
  • One problem that I have is that as soon as you invoke the mouse cursor to reappear on the screen, it brings up the top address bar
  • It does has some flexibility with its settings, but I think it could use some work

• by Fuscero

This little box hosts holds a whole bunch of inputs and outputs, including an HDMI input and output, optical output, and a couple of USB inputs as well. It also has Dolby Digital Plus, Bluetooth, and WiFi…and it’s really well presented.

It looks very promising when you first get it out of the box and it’s very quick and easy to set up. Once you’ve set it up, you’re presented with a really nice looking UI. It has a row of icons along the bottom. It has Notifications, All Apps, Live TV, Youtube, Google Play, Google Chrome, Sony Entertainment Network, etc.

The Youtube application is presented really well…and I like the way the set it out on the screen. The front page shows

Trending Videos, Recently Featured, and Most Popular. On the side panel, there’s My Youtube (if you’re signed in), Discover, and Live. When you do a search, you can use the supplied remote. The remote is two-sided. On one side, you have sorta navigation buttons, with a middle area for moving the cursor that’s kinda like a clickable trackpad. On the other side is a QWERTY keypad. On the side of the remote are the volume and power controls. The tricky thing is that after you type with the keypad, you kinda have to switch around to the other side to use the controls on the opposing side. So I guess it’s sorta weird to have to keep switching sides on the
      remote control. The image quality is great and I love watching Youtube videos on this TV. What’s cool is that when you push the home button, instead of stopping the video you are playing, it sorta dims down the video into the background and continues to play the video….and basically dims the image of any application you close until you open a new one.

One downside of this device is that when you download applications from Google Play, you don’t know how it will work on the Google TV because there isn’t a dedicated section in the Play Store for the Google TV. However, there are a full-array of applications that you can install and, luckily, all the ones that I’ve tried ...

• Sony Google TV NSZ-GS7
      have worked.

The Sony Entertainment Network application gives you access to things like Video Unlimited, Music Unlimited, Epicurious.com, Dailymotion, LiveStrong, and a few other extra goodies for entertainment. It’s not a great selection but at least you got something to choose from.

The last important thing is Google Chrome, which gives you web browsing on my large-screen TV. It’s not fantastic…I mean, the performance isn’t brilliant, but it’s definitely acceptable. One problem that I have is that as soon as you invoke the mouse cursor to reappear on the screen, it brings up the top address bar. The scrolling is kinda slow in my opinion and it’s not a great browsing experience…but it gets by, you know?

Overall, I’ve enjoyed using the Google

TV. It’s kinda different from the Apple TV, which I used previously. It does has some flexibility with its settings, but I think it could use some work.

First off, the performance isn’t fantastic. It needs a better processor for faster browsing. I also think the remote needs some work and tweaks, just to make it a bit more intuitive and friendly. It took a long time to get used to flipping over to access the two different sides. It would be great if the track pad was capacitive. I would rather like to tap than to click.

Other than that, this Google TV is good. It certainly has some potential for the next models and I can see it improving for the future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1616041607540930/k2311a0416/4.16.13