The Europeans (1979)  » Movies  »
2.0
  • It is based on a novel by Henry James, and the story is set in 1850s � my favorite timeframe, so I thought I was going to love it

• by Lorianna
      This 1979 movie has failed my expectations, big time. It is based on a novel by Henry James, and the story is set in 1850s � my favorite timeframe, so I thought I was going to love it. A wealthy American family lives a comfortable life in their house near Boston.

Mr. Wentworth, the father, is a serious and strict man, so there

is not much excitement going on.

One of his two daughters, Gertrude, is courted by the local minister, but she does not return his feelings. One day, the family receives a couple of unexpected visitors who have just come from Europe.

Felix and Eugenia, a brother and sister, are related to the Wentworths, and are very different from them. They are lively and ...

• outgoing, they seem to enjoy life more.

Gertrude is immediately attracted to Felix, who is an artist and wants to paint her portrait. They fall in love and get engaged, overcoming Gertrude’s father’s initial disapproval.

As I watched the movie, I kept waiting for the introductory part to be over and the bigger story to unfold. I expected some twist, some more drama

than just people meeting and talking.

I thought, perhaps Felix and Eugenia were not at all related to the Wentworths, perhaps they were some con artists or fortune hunters. But no twist, no further development came along.

I couldn’t believe it when I saw the closing titles. That’s it?!

Bottom line: ordinary and uninteresting - and that’s coming from someone who usually enjoys period dramas based on books.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11905160750631/k2311a059/5.9.07