Ion Permanent Hair Color

• by Krista Craig

Ion Permanent Hair Color is made by Sally Beauty Supply and is comparative to other brand name hair dye on the market. I have been on both sides of the fence, coloring my hair on my own or going to the hair salon to have a stylist do it for me. The main difference that I have found between the two is the price. Doing it on my own has saved me about $100 every six weeks so it is a no brainer to me. Being respectful of my stylist, I asked her if any of the boxed hair dyes on the market were better than others. Her answer was that a boxed hair dye will always be of poorer quality but that if I went to Sally Beauty Supply I could buy a more professional product. Yes, it would

require me to mix the solution myself but she stated I would get the best results.

My hair is naturally a dark brown and my preference is a light blond. Many hair dyes I have tried I have found give me poor results. They either boast that they can lighten up to 3 shades and still come out brown or worse, orange. They boast that they include tones and highlights but come out flat and one dimensional. On top of that, after you use them your hair feels like straw, breaking at the slightest touch, causing you to feel like you will be bald in the next 5 years.

The Ion Hair Color had great samples in the store. When I looked at the hair swatches I thought I would be amazed if the color came out as it looked.

There were several shades, and they all looked natural, with clear tones and highlights. The ash blonde I wanted to try was what I pictured in my mind. The store employee there helped me find the right developer and made the task of having the right mix of developer and dye as easy as it could have been. If you were ever scared to buy hair dye that you had to mix on your own as I originally was, don’t be. If the employee hadn’t been there, the Ion Hair Color Display gives very specific instructions that are easy to follow for you to do it on your own. They include a chart where you bring point A (your natural hair color) and Point B (your desired hair color) together to Point C- giving you name of the developer ...
      • Ion Permanent Hair Color
      and dye you will need. SIMPLE. At checkout my total for all supplies was $12.00.

When I got home I mixed the dye and followed the instructions to test a strand. The results were clear in 15 minutes that I would get the shade I wanted. I put it in my hair and was pleasantly surprised that the “tropical” smell was not overly toxic. The cream based dye stuck to my fine hair well and did not drip. Liquid dye is also an option if it is your preference. There was some itching on my scalp as it set but this is natural for most dyes and it was gone within the first 5 minutes. Ion dye is not a fast acting dye job and this is a GOOD thing. Hair dyes that say you can wash it out in 10 minutes are incredibly harsh and unnatural. I washed it out in 35 minutes and blew my hair dry quickly to see the result.

I was incredibly pleased. My hair was a lovely ash blond, without being brassy or reddish. The coverage was fantastic and the tones and highlights really stood out with clear definition of at least 3 shades within the same color. My hair felt only slightly dry but when conditioned was smooth as silk. Over the next 4 weeks the fade out was minimal and I only needed to touch up my roots 6 weeks later. Even my hairdresser was impressed. To me, if you can get the same results you get in the salon for a fraction of the price there’s no reason to do it any other way. Try Ion Permanent Hair Color today for yourself.

next in digest
Jennifer Davis says :

I prefer to use hair colors that don’t contain harsh chemicals like ammonia. Does this contain ammonia or is there a variety of this that is ammonia free?

carmie26 says :

Hi Jennifer,

Actually there is a variant of this same brand that doesn’t contain chemical such as ammonia. It is called Ion Color Brilliance Ammonia Free Permanent Creme Hair Color.

I also don’t like harsh chemicals on my hair and as much as possible I use chemical free hair dye wherein you only nee to put some water on the dye. Bigen has a hair color line that doesn’t contain any chemicals.

nine says :

re : Yes, it would require me to mix the solution myself but she stated I would get the best results
I LOVE THIS PRODUCT

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3115041607250730/k2311a0415/4.15.13