“Unapologetic” album by Rihanna  » Music  »
  • Although there’s no track in the album under the same title, I believe the theme is based around that title
  • Following the hype and promotion of this album, I decided to purchase a copy for myself
  • I bought it a bit later than the general public, because I consider myself a ‘stand out from the crowd’ kinda guy
  • So after finding some interesting information that producers who worked on this album consisted of Labrinth and The-Dream, who are in my top five producer’s list, I was compelled to take $11.99 and buy this album on iTunes with my fingers crossed, hoping not to be disappointed
  • I think it was worth my money, I definitely added songs to my playlist that get played on a daily basis and I would honestly recommend this album

• by Yesaya Jnr Nkhwazi

Rihanna’s 7th album to date, she gifts us with the title “Unapologetic”. Although there’s no track in the album under the same title, I believe the theme is based around that title. Following the hype and promotion of this album, I decided to purchase a copy for myself. I bought it a bit later than the general public, because I consider myself a ‘stand out from the crowd’ kinda guy.

album on iTunes with my fingers crossed, hoping not to be disappointed.

I wasn’t disappointed; in fact this 15 track album is in my opinion one of the best albums I have heard this year – even though it was released in November 2012, I haven’t heard an album better than it yet. Of course Rihanna is not to credit for the hit potential of this album, being an artist signed to a major label – your songs are written for you by the best writers in the World, produced by the best producers in the World and you are vocal trained by the best vocal coach in the World. With that in mind, I think Rihanna did a really good job in her vocal delivery.

You hear Rihanna hit some big vocal notes and riffs in the 6/8 ballad “What Now”, and then some funky Michael Jackson reminiscent vibe with the song “Ain’t Nobody’s Business” featuring Chris Brown which captures many elements of “The Way You Make Me Feel” by Michael Jackson. An attitude-filled introductory song to the album “Phresh Out The Runway” really gears you up with excitement for what the album has in-store.

The continuous genre of the album is hard to explain because there almost isn’t a ...

continuous sound, it’s more of a vibe. Rihanna goes from Pop to R&B to Rap to Ballads, almost like playing ping pong with the musical genres in order to prove that she can do more than what people expect of her. So, the whole ‘Rihanna Team’ goes in and makes a song of specific genres and produces it excellently.

Obvious the main downfall of any Rihanna album is Rihanna herself. Her vocals can surpass with the help of industry plug-ins like auto-tune and melodyne, but she doesn’t compare to the likes of Leona Lewis or Adele. Maybe that’s what draws people to her, that if

you strip away the money and the fame, she’s just a normal person trying to sing.

The songs related to me as a human, with the usual concepts of being in and out of love. The song writing more than the singing, but I shall credit the singing too. On a professional note, Rihanna has improved from her previous efforts – definitely a better singer since “Umbrella” on her 3rd album. So maybe that’s why I really liked this album. I think it was worth my money, I definitely added songs to my playlist that get played on a daily basis and I would honestly recommend this album.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1415041607200730/k2311a0415/4.15.13