“TP-2.com” album by R. Kelly  » Music  »
2.5
  • After coming from hits like “Gotham City”, “I Believe I Can Fly” and “I’m Your Angel” with Celine Dion
  • This album isn’t as ballad-based as his previous one and isn’t really vocally driven, I think he’s plan on this album was to showcase his variety of skills in terms of production – which he did
  • I bought this album solely because of hearing the single “I Wish” and it’s remix, I really thought that it was the sound to the album
  • I probably have about 5 songs that I like in this album, and the rest… I think you have to be baptized into the genre of R&B to really enjoy them

• by Yesaya Jnr Nkhwazi

The genius musicianship of R. Kelly was put to the test again on his 4th album “TP-2.com”. The album name serves as a continuation from his first album “12 Play”, with this album acting as the sequel: “Twelve Play-2”. Although 12 play was named because it consisted of 12 songs, this album consists of 19 songs.

R. Kelly had raised the bar so high on his previous album “R.” which was a double album consisting of 30 songs, so he had to match it or better it with 19 songs. After

coming from hits like “Gotham City”, “I Believe I Can Fly” and “I’m Your Angel” with Celine Dion; R. Kelly decided to self-produce most of this album and really changed his style.

This album isn’t as ballad-based as his previous one and isn’t really vocally driven, I think he’s plan on this album was to showcase his variety of skills in terms of production – which he did. The most popular song from this album was “I Wish”, which also had a remix version “I Wish Remix (To The Homies That We Lost)”. His style which totally differs from the ballads takes more of an urban turn as if to compete with upcoming R&B singers or to reach out to the younger audience.

I bought this album solely because of hearing the single “I Wish” and it’s remix, I really thought that it was the sound to the album. To my surprise it wasn’t, it was totally different from what I expected. I probably have about 5 songs that I like in this album, and the rest… I think you have to ...

be baptized into the genre of R&B to really enjoy them.

I has a lot of slow jams or baby makers such as “R&B Thug”, “Strip For You” and “The Greatest Sex” so this is the main theme throughout this album, much like his first album “12 play”. Whereas most people really knew R. Kelly from his album “R.”, so if you are wanting to buy this expecting to hear songs similar to “Gotham City” and “Angel” you are on the wrong train. Expect to hear songs like “Bump & Grind”

throughout this album.

It is well produced, R. Kelly never fails on the production side, I guess it’s a really a one-sided album. I only listened to it about 5 times thoroughly, and that was just because of benefit of the doubt. So, I just ended up adding “I Wish” and it’s remix to my playlist and never heard the rest of the album again.

So, my advice is that, if you are a deep R&B head, looking for those bedroom songs; then – and only then – is this album for you.

QueenHalo says :

re : I probably have about 5 songs that I like in this album, and the rest… I think you have to be baptized into the genre of R&B to really enjoy them
I feel like the songs on this album is uplifting also you can feel every lyric he sings.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1415041607180730/k2311a0415/4.15.13