Cooler Master NotePal LapAir R9-NBC-LPAR-GP  » Computers  »
  • Unfortunately, the model is almost as heavy as my MacBook - 1.5 kg
  • Besides, it could cost a little bit cheaper - I bought it for $60
  • What I think is really special about this model is its design, which is truly visually appealing - you can say it looks beautiful, you can say it looks cool, you can say it looks rad even though you don't know why exactly, but I just like it - and that's all I need from its matte black finish and minimalistic shape with rounded corners
  • I know, if it had its own battery, it would be at least $50 more expensive and a pound heavier, so that was a valid idea, after all
  • In overall, if you travel or use your laptop in public places often, you'll never regret buying it, for even double the price

• by Vince Eightt

At first, having another device to carry along with my notebook to meetings, seminars and exhibitions didn’t seem to be a good idea, given that the device was about the size - and weight of the notebook itself. So, what does this thing do? Basically, it cools your notebook when it’s working. That simple. But any simplicity may spawn a bunch of difficult nuances, especially when you’re in a situation you’re not quite used to. For instance, letting your notebook rest on your lap for ten minutes or so is never a big deal. But what if it’s going to last for two hours? That’s when you realize how badly

laptops can heat up and how bad it may hurt working with them, say, at the airport or in a tourist bus. Mind you, MacBooks’ aluminum frames are even worse at it, and even my lightweight MacBook air is far from comfortable in this regard.

Sit with your knees wider apart, and the notebook will fall through the gap; make a movement, and it may result in it falling, too. So, resting a notebook directly on the lap is usually pretty uncomfortable. But there’s one thing that offers a solution. It’s called Cooler Master NotePal LapAir R9-NBC-LPAR-GP. Its first function is that of a tray - you put it over your lap, and the notebook may rest on it firmly; its second function is preventing your legs from being heated by the notebook’s bottom surface.

Unfortunately, the model is almost as heavy as my MacBook - 1.5 kg. Besides, it could cost a little bit cheaper - I bought it for $60.

Well, now for the good news. What I think is really special about this model is its design, which is truly visually appealing - you can say it looks beautiful, you can say it looks cool, you can say it looks rad even though you don’t know why exactly, but I just like it - and that’s all ...

• Cooler Master NotePal LapAir R9-NBC-LPAR-GP
      I need from its matte black finish and minimalistic shape with rounded corners.

Now you can ask me - is it worth buying? The short answer is - yes. But if you’ve read to this bit, I assume you’re here for the longer one. OK, I’ll tell you why it’s worth buying, because I myself have looked into it carefully to figure out what I had paid my 60 bucks for.

First thing to notice is its noiseless fan - and I mean it’s literally noiseless. I didn’t hear a thing, and I’m quite sure you won’t, either - at least in public places where there are lots of much

louder distracting noises. Of course, the fan needs energy, which it will suck out of the laptop’s battery through the USB cable. I know, if it had its own battery, it would be at least $50 more expensive and a pound heavier, so that was a valid idea, after all.

The sponge mat makes it rest on the lap comfortably, while the rubber inlay on top of the surface prevents the notebook from slipping. Also there are special grooves near the edges to make dealing with USB cables easier.

In overall, if you travel or use your laptop in public places often, you’ll never regret buying it, for even double the price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1911041607030830/k2311a0411/4.11.13