Sony MDR-XB500 Headphones
2.5
  • I think, because of the lightness, they are super comfortable to wear and its all thanks to the ear cups
  • There is no adapter, which is too bad because in my opinion, these are good studio headphones for a drummer
  • You may experience some issues if you’re a more abrasive / abusive user but I’ve put them through my life-day and haven’t experienced any problems at all (except for a couple of scratches)
  • I’ve noticed though that on vocal and guitar solos, the bass gets kinda muddy but it’s kinda subtle so I guess you kinda don’t notice it if you aren’t listening too hard
  • If you like bass, you won’t be disappointed and you might even get a bit more than you expected

• by Fuscero

These headphones retail for about 50 bucks and you can get it for cheaper if you shop around.

You get an okay pair of headphones for 50 bucks.

As for the build quality, it’s a full-on plastic construction. It uses metal hinges that slide up and down. I’ve used them pretty vigorously. I’ve gone skiing with them twice and they’ve held up marvelously. I haven’t discovered any problems with the hinges or build but like I said, it is 100% plastic.

They do feel light and I guess that could translate to being cheap (but it doesn’t have to). I think, because of the lightness, they are super comfortable to wear and its all thanks to the ear cups.

Now, these headphones are kinda big. There’s the 700-model alternative to this, which has 50 mm audio drives and these are only 40 mm.

What you get in the box is the headphones themselves, a little warranty notice / manual / how-to-use thing and you also get a soft-pelt

carrying pouch.

It has this sorta spaghetti audio cable. I say spaghetti because I don’t actually know what it’s called. I would usually feel indifferent about spaghetti cables but this one is actually pretty good. The point of this cable style is to get a tangle-free situation in effect. As I’m sure you know, all normal cables tangle and it’s very bad. These do have these little kinks when twists and stuff but you don’t have to worry about tangling so that’s good stuff.

It has the standard 3.5 mm headphone jack. There is no adapter, which is too bad because in my opinion, these are good studio headphones for a drummer. For guitarists, instrumentalists, and vocalists, these headphones are not the way to go because there’s too much bass…but I’m getting ahead of myself. Other than that, the build quality is pretty standard. You may experience some issues if you’re a more abrasive / abusive user but I’ve put them through my life-day and haven’t

experienced any problems at all (except for a couple of scratches).

Okay. So, lets talk about the sound quality. The sound quality is okay, considering that these are 50 bucks. I think it’s because their large audio drivers provide a little better frequency response than most of the other headphones in this price range. Obviously, it has its issues..it’s not a perfect sound.

The company markets these headphones as super-bass headphones…and boy, I’ve never had so much bass pumping through my head. It almost hurts. It vibrates like crazy and feels like your skull is being shook. Out of the box, these are totally hip-hop, rap, dance, electronic headphones. I guess some people like that but I’m not a huge fan of it. On the plus side, you can use an equalizer to flatten the frequency response out pretty well to allow you to enjoy other genres. So, they do respond to equalizers, which is good because a lot of headphones don’t. When you flatten ...

• Sony MDR-XB500 Headphones
      it with an EQ, you can get them to play rock, classical, or just about any other genre. What surprised me is that after using the EQ, it did incredible on acoustic music. I’ve noticed though that on vocal and guitar solos, the bass gets kinda muddy but it’s kinda subtle so I guess you kinda don’t notice it if you aren’t listening too hard.

Another thing I can say is that, for so much bass, it doesn’t distort or get muddy, until you hit 90% volume. Once at 90%, you can hear a little rattle, mushiness, and lack of clarity. 90% sounds like a lot but unfortunately, it isn’t because these headphones don’t get that loud. I think that’s because they’re super conservative. What I mean is that you can plug this into an iPod or whatever and they won’t consume nearly as much power as other headphones. This is nice, I guess, because it goes easy on your battery, but they just

don’t get loud.

My biggest problem with these headphones is leakage. These things leak like mad. They are probably the most leaking headphones I’ve ever used and it’s a big annoyance. Some people don’t care, but I personally don’t like people having to listen to my music. I like to stay in my own world when I listen to music. Besides, you know you would hate it if you had to listen to someone else’s loud music. The thing is that you don’t even have to turn it up loud for people to hear it so that’s a big problem…and I already told you that is doesn’t get that loud anyways..arggh! I think it’s because the ear cups don’t create a very good seal.

Other than that, these headphones are okay. Holds up well, sound far from perfect but sorta fixable with eq, a lot of leaking, good cable, and strong bass. If you like bass, you won’t be disappointed and you might even get a bit more than you expected.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 168041606620830/k2311a048/4.8.13