Slipknot, 1999 Album by Slipknot
  • But I should have bought it then, because I am sure that I would have enjoyed all of those songs
  • My first Slipknot album was Iowa, and then I had a best of collection CD, and then I bought Subliminal Verses, and only then I got a hold of this debut album of theirs, and I am sometimes thinking I should have bought it back then

• by mcguard85

I was once thinking about buying a physical copy of this album, when I was about fourteen, but I did not. But I should have bought it then, because I am sure that I would have enjoyed all of those songs. My first Slipknot album was Iowa, and then I had a best of collection CD, and then I bought Subliminal Verses, and only then I got a hold of this debut album of theirs, and I am sometimes thinking I should have bought it back then. This album by Slipknot is probably their most straightforward and simple, on some level. But this album is fantastic as a concept and it has numerous really strong points.

I feel like the band knew very well what metal music has to be.

They recorded an album of trash hardcore metal that works so well. Even though they have nine guys in the band, the album itself is pretty stripped down from the point of view of the compositions and the arrangements as well. They just choose a working sequence and they make it explode.

All their efforts are straight to the point, they do not go here or there, they get straight to the heart of it. Their music is relentless. It does not give you any break. To listen to the whole album from beginning to end, you need to be very tough.

You must have lots of endurance. And imagine how much endurance one needs to actually play all these songs. I love their sound on this record. It is ...

• safe to say that the sound is very original and unique here.

At the time when this album was recorded hardcore metal was not so much in the mainstream, and I do not know of many other records that would use this formula, recorded at around the same time or before 1999. I think they were trail blazing here. There is so much energy and aggression on this album, it is a surprising amount even for an album by a metal band. Corey Tailor is a great performer for a metal album.

He has such a good ability to shout, scream, make all other types of noises. It feels like he literally spits out all the words he is articulating. All the tracks have enough power and aggression in

them. I particularly prefer the following tracks: Wait and Bleed, Surfacing, Spit It Out, Tattered and Torn, Liberate, No Life.

All these songs are very energetic indeed. These tracks must make real good sense on live performances and rock concerts, because of the sheer drive and power that they have. I particularly, for some reason, used to like the track No Life. The shouting and chanting in the chorus of this song sounded particularly touching and impressive to me.

The arrangement of this song is really good in how it incorporates electronic elements so well, and sounds a little like industrial music. Surfacing has a crazy guitar line, that sounds totally deranged. This album is a piece of hardcore metal music art. It is the essence of hardcore music.

Hardcore music does not need pretty much anything else.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1422031605760731/k2311a0322/3.22.13