Version 2.0, 1998 Album by Garbage  » Music  »
  • I like Version 2.0 a lot more than Version 1.0, the debut album released by Garbage, and called Garbage, even though, it should have been called Version 1.0, for the name of the second album to make a little more sense
  • I am not sure about how exactly they performed these songs live, but the recordings definitely rely heavily on electronics, more so than on guitars
  • I think that this album does not have any noticeably weak songs
  • In the first place I was really impressed by the video to this song

• by mcguard85

I like Version 2. 0 a lot more than Version 1. 0, the debut album released by Garbage, and called Garbage, even though, it should have been called Version 1. 0, for the name of the second album to make a little more sense. But the title is kind of memorable nonetheless. And the music on this record is really good.

Garbage have taken their formula and improved it in all the ways possible. Even though it has its class defined as electro-rock, typical for the nineties, the actual musical spectrum on this album is really diverse. The compositions are very unconventional, and they seem to fit in

no single genre. This track feels more like melodic pop, that song is more like techno-electronic music, this one sounds like punk music so on and so forth. All the compositions, however are good, the slower ones and the faster ones equally.

Apart from the strong melodies this album also has really good arrangements. I like how Garbage are assembling their songs on this album. I feel like at first they disassemble all the tracks, and afterwards they put them back together. The end result feels more original, but still appealing. I like the depth of the sound.

The music overall is also pretty dynamic. I am not sure about how exactly they performed these songs live, but the recordings definitely rely heavily on electronics, more so than on guitars. The sonic textures that they create are very beautiful and memorable. I think that this album does not have any noticeably weak songs. But I would mark the following ones as the strongest though: I Think I’m Paranoid, Special, When I Grow Up and Push It.

I particularly enjoy Push It. In the first place I was really impressed by the video to this song. It is very memorable and vivid. But the song itself is really good. I like ...

• Version 2.0, 1998 Album by Garbage
      the beat, the way it fits very organically into the whole mix of the track.

The chorus of this song is really magic. This is a track that is always enjoyable. It never gets old. One never gets tired of it. The guitar riff, the beat and the vocals blend in such a perfect way, like they were always meant to be this way.

I think that on this record Garbage surpassed themselves. They definitely solidified their status as great musicians exactly on this album. I personally like their third album as well, but, if I were to pick a single Garbage album from their

line-up, I would pick this one. I think that this album actually shows the essence of the band in the best way. It catches them in their most characteristic moment.

Even though there were many bands that used electronic music at the time, an album like this could not have been recorded by any other band other than Garbage. Their formula is just so successful here. The sheer meticulousness of the sound, the attention to detail, are staggering. In the midst of all the assets I just mentioned I forgot to praise the vocal delivery, which is very good here as well. Shirley sounds very emotional and active on this album.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1422031605700731/k2311a0322/3.22.13