Pablo Honey, 1993 Album by Radiohead  » Music  »
2.5
  • And it is my mature opinion, which is based on some degree of analysis, and I am saying it now after I have had some experience with music
  • When I was about twelve, and I listened to this album, I thought I liked it
  • I think that this debut is not that convincing for Radiohead
  • Its verse section feels too boring and affected for me, whereas the chorus is way too simple and linear
  • Even though I do like its chorus, its main guitar riff is very interesting, and there are some really interesting guitar effects which work

• by mcguard85

On some levels it is probably difficult to admit it, but, looking back at this album, and comparing it to the albums that Radiohead afterwards, this album indeed comes off rather badly. I personally think that this album is quite weak. And it is my mature opinion, which is based on some degree of analysis, and I am saying it now after I have had some experience with music. When I was about twelve, and I listened to this album, I thought I liked it. I think it sounded rather cool.

But, looking back at it, analyzing the songs, I simply do not like them. For me

personally, the magic that this album could have had is gone. I don’t feel it anymore. I think that this debut is not that convincing for Radiohead.

I do not like the song-writing of this album very much. Many of the songs are kind of random. They feel like easy and uninspired melodies which are allowed to go wherever they want by a band that does not seem to take song-writing that seriously. Many of the melodic turns are very generic, yet others have something unusual in them, but these unusual turns do not sound that pleasant though.

I feel like Radiohead needed some more practice before they released this album. In some ways I see this album as really being the practice for the album which was to follow, the fantastic 1995 The Bends. This album feels like a warm-up to that one. The core ingredients of this music feel pretty much the same as for the Radiohead albums that will follow, but they seem to be a much lower level though.

This album does not sound that great. Particularly the guitars have a generic sound, which even does not sound like a high quality sound to be honest. And Thom Yorke sounds like a weird and indistinct vocalist on this album.

• Pablo Honey, 1993 Album by Radiohead
      His sometimes quiet and barely heard delivery, his delivery in a pretty high pitch, his emotionally charged delivery, they simply sound kind of strange and indistinct.

His style had not reached enough clarity on this album. Creep is, of course, a very convincing song. The melody of this song is very appealing, and this track is also arranged very well. I think that this song has the best arrangement on the whole album.

All the instruments are restrained and understated, and the whole song feels very easy and organic. I only think that this song still should not have been as long as it is. Somehow, four

minutes of the structure sound too long for me personally. Stop Whispering is a disappointing song for me.

Its verse section feels too boring and affected for me, whereas the chorus is way too simple and linear. Anyone Can Play Guitar is song which is one of the most interesting on the whole record. Even though I do like its chorus, its main guitar riff is very interesting, and there are some really interesting guitar effects which work. If Radiohead released a second album which would not have been better than their debut, the band could easily start being dismissed and soon forgotten.

This album, where they are coming from, is rather modest.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1422031605680731/k2311a0322/3.22.13