Valspar Chalkboard Paint in Black  » Housewares  »
  • I'd been wanting to paint one of my walls with chalkboard paint for quite some time, but I had no experience with the paint
  • At Lowe's, the one quart bucket of paint cost me about $15, though I think you save a few dollars by purchasing the gallon if you have that much to paint
  • I was impressed by how smooth everything looked when I was complete
  • While I was in the midst of painting, I was shocked at how streaky it looked, but after the second and third layer of paint, the lines seemed to go away a bit, and by the time it dried, it was definitely a fairly solid and opaque wall
  • It seemed to dry rather slow, so I would also recommend making sure you can keep people/children/animals away from it for the full recommended 24 hours to ensure it is fully dry and not susceptible to any smudging

• by Melanie Noell

I’d been wanting to paint one of my walls with chalkboard paint for quite some time, but I had no experience with the paint. I asked an employee at Lowe’s, and Valspar Chalkboard Paint was what he recommended. I didn’t see any other colors in stock - though I’m not sure I would want the green - so I picked up a small can of the black chalkboard paint.

At Lowe’s, the one quart bucket of paint cost me about $15, though I think you save a few dollars by purchasing the gallon if you have that much to paint. Personally, I only planned on painting half of my wall nearest my desk (about 10′ by 5′) so it

would have been a waste to purchase the gallon and have nothing else to use it for. I have looked at other brands, and the price was pretty comparable, though I do think the Valspar is a tiny bit pricier.

The quart size was perfect for the amount of wall that I wanted to paint, and I actually had some paint left over afterwards. I had never really done much painting before, so I was surprised at having to paint a few layers on, but everyone has told me this is pretty normal. It’s actually what my father said is the main reason he hates painting interiors. Aside from being a little surprised at how thin it looked (because of my inexperience) after the first coat of paint, the paint seemed to go on really well. It took between two and three layers of paint to cover the wall and have an opaque layer of black chalkboard on my wall. I guess it depends on how thick you layer on the paint because certain sections seemed to take less layers than others.

I was impressed by how smooth everything looked when I was complete. While I was in the midst of painting, I was shocked at how streaky it looked, but after the second and third layer of paint, the lines seemed to go away a bit, and by the time it dried, it was definitely a ...

• Valspar Chalkboard Paint in Black
      fairly solid and opaque wall. I did have one or two small spots that seemed a bit thin, but it could have easily been remedied by an extra layer of paint. So I would say expect to do three layers of paint for a truly opaque paint job.

This paint didn’t really need much in the way of surface prepping, which was a big time saver, too. I taped my walls off and wiped off any dust or noticeable marks, but I didn’t follow the instructions for doing any type of sanding; I’m still satisfied with the overall appearance. The paint does tend to get a bit gloppy if you don’t mix/stir frequently once it’s opened, so I would

recommend holding onto the stir stick and only pouring out small amounts of paint into your paint tray. It seemed to dry rather slow, so I would also recommend making sure you can keep people/children/animals away from it for the full recommended 24 hours to ensure it is fully dry and not susceptible to any smudging. Once the paint is dry, chalk goes on easily, but make sure you wait for it to fully dry! And it can be a bit difficult to erase without a good eraser.

Overall, I’m satisfied with both the overall appearance and the relative ease with which I was able to apply the paint. I would use this brand again if I wanted any more chalkboard walls.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5320031605480731/k2311a0320/3.20.13