Lonesome Crowded West, 1997 Album by Modest Mouse  » Music  »
2.0
  • I think that this is not a very good full length album for a band like Modest Mouse
  • In actual fact, I think that the quality of the music on this record is not very high, and this album does not feel like it was written with inspiration and only some of the songs sound somewhat interesting, but not much though
  • There are no songs on the previous record which I would describe as boring
  • Convenient Parking is a song that has some energy
  • The verse feels too chaotic and insane to be enjoyed on any level, but the chorus does have a simple and very energetic exclamation in it

• by mcguard85

I think that this is not a very good full length album for a band like Modest Mouse. I remember how I first started listening to it after I listened to their first full length album, and I did not enjoy this record at all. It was because I expected that the second record is going to be at least as good as the first one, but I was wrong about it. In actual fact, I think that the quality of the music on this record is not very high, and this album does not feel like it was written with inspiration and only some of the songs sound somewhat interesting, but not much though.

Now, there are

only a couple of songs here that have a cool sound, and basically all they are doing is presenting this sound. I mean the songs called Heart Cooks Brain, Out of Gas. These two songs have rather cool and catchy drum beats and rather interesting and bright guitar lines.

But they are not developed well, and they feel monotonous, even though the song Out of Gas is actually pretty short. There are no songs on the previous record which I would describe as boring. On this album there are dull songs.

I think that these boring songs are not even worth mentioning. I know this album pretty well, and if I mention a song, this means it is worth mentioning, whereas the others are simply not interesting in any way. Convenient Parking is a song that has some energy.

It is a speedy and urgent feeling kind of track. I do not like the verse part much. The verse feels too chaotic and insane to be enjoyed on any level, but the chorus does have a simple and very energetic exclamation in it: Convenient Parking is way back!

I think that Jesus Christ Was an Only Child is a very embarrassing song.

It tries to be catchy, but it turns out to be cheap and fake. I think that a band like Modest Mouse could be a bit ashamed of themselves for having a song like ...

• Lonesome Crowded West, 1997 Album by Modest Mouse
      that on their record. Trailer Trash has some mature musical elements, and it reminds me in some way of the song Ocean Breathes Salty.

Especially the bass line in the protracted instrumental second part of the song sounds very similar to the bass line on Ocean Breathes Salty. Polar Opposites is another song on the album which is too obviously pop and soft, and for an Indie alternative band like Modest Mouse it is a bit embarrassing as well. There are slow and soft tracks on their previous record as well, but those songs were not so obvious as this one, and they had emotional weight.

In actual fact, the only song that can measure with the songs

on the first album from the point of view of emotional weight is the song called Bankrupt on Selling. This song has a very emotional and sad sounding sequence of chords and notes, and there is a guitar solo part at the end which is really tear-jerking, and Isaac Brock is also singing in a very interesting and sad way which sounds fit for the song. The arrangement is interesting lo-fi as well.

This is a good song. But, the album on the whole is disappointing. The second album by Modest Mouse is a lot worse than the first one.

They do not seem to have gone anywhere, but have lost their heart and raw emotion. It is good that their third album was on the way.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1413031604800831/k2311a0313/3.13.13