Iowa, 2001 Album by Slipknot
  • And I find it truly amazing how such a great metal album came out exactly at the right time, from the point of view of the state of the music industry
  • But I decided not to buy this record at the time, experiencing some regrets afterwards
  • I love the level and the type of heaviness that the band achieved on this record
  • It is one of the best metal albums of all time, period

• by mcguard85

Iowa is a great metal album. This album firmly establishes what metal music should be like. And I find it truly amazing how such a great metal album came out exactly at the right time, from the point of view of the state of the music industry. Due to several factors this album achieved levels of fame and recognition that it would have been impossible for such a heavy album to achieve at any time in history.

I actually got to listen to this album before it acquired this extreme level of fame in our country. The guy who gave me musical advice at the time, handed me this album and said:

Here is a new album by a young American metal band. I got home, listened to this album and thought: This album is really heavy.

I am generally not into this kind of music. It is uncomfortably heavy, and, yet, somehow, I find this music appealing. I find the discomfort this music is causing me appealing, however weird it might sound.

But I decided not to buy this record at the time, experiencing some regrets afterwards. But I should not have had any regrets because this band soon after became so famous that their music, music from this album was all over the place. And I remember how shocked I was afterwards,

when I was watching music channels with Slipknot songs topping the charts and ratings, watching those music videos, and going: Are these the same songs by that same young American band?

I love the level and the type of heaviness that the band achieved on this record.

You have to be in the mood to be able to listen to this album from start to finish. There is literally no break from aggression on this album, there is no filler. You feel like the band have taken you hostage, and you have few choices.

You can quit, show complete submission or, much better, you can join them, and try to feel the ...

• Iowa, 2001 Album by Slipknot
      pain and frustration that they are expressing on this record. The aggression on this album feels rather appealing because it is genuine and because there is considerable musical craft behind it. Slipknot is a collection of gifted musicians.

And I totally love their approach on this record. They seem to have acknowledged in a positive the multitude, the power of their numbers. They seem to have proven that, if you do it right, the more people you have in a rock band, the louder and the better the music is going to be.

On their previous they dealt with the fact that there were nine of them in the band by trying

to expand their sound and textures. Some of the guys, as a result of this, seemed to have been relegated to the background roles. On this record they have decided: But what if none of us get pushed into the background? What if we all just rock as much and as hard as we can? And this worked for them.

This sound and this intensity could have been achieved only when there are nine independent musicians throwing their forces together. It is even pointless to name out any separate tracks from this album. All the tracks have substance and merit, making this album what it is.

It is one of the best metal albums of all time, period.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1412031604670931/k2311a0312/3.12.13