Issues, 1999 Album by Korn
  • I think that the 1999 Issues is Korn’s greatest work
  • It is the first album by them that I got hold of, and I was strongly impressed by the music
  • And when I had gotten through the first, more popular and easy tracks, and kind of got a little tired of those after a while, I still enjoyed the other songs that were on the album, towards the end of the album
  • They were less commercial, but more musically interesting
  • I like what Korn did with their sound on this record

• by mcguard85

I think that the 1999 Issues is Korn’s greatest work. It is the first album by them that I got hold of, and I was strongly impressed by the music. I was rather young when I got a hold of this record, it was before their 2002 release Untouchables, which I did not like at all, and at the time I was not an active listener to metal music, but I did enjoy this record however, a lot. Somehow it was not too heavy or hard for my musical ear at the time, even though, as I said, I was pretty young, a kid in his early teens, at the time.

What I liked about this

record was that it lasted for a very long time, for me. I was able to enjoy its music over and over. And when I had gotten through the first, more popular and easy tracks, and kind of got a little tired of those after a while, I still enjoyed the other songs that were on the album, towards the end of the album.

Those songs were less catchy, but yet they had their strong sides as well, they were good in a different way. They were less commercial, but more musically interesting. What I like about this album is that unlike the previous albums by Korn, this album is more consistent and coherent.

On this

albums do not seem to follow the fashion of the day, but seemed to make music that would be solid and mature stylistically and semantically, in keeping with their trash metal roots. In simpler words, they were not trying to something they were not, and could not be very good at. Not only is this record very consistent musically, it is also pretty consistent thematically, even though semantic coherence was present on Korn’s previous albums as well.

It is just that it sounds more convincing on this one. I liked the songs Falling Away From Me in the past, but now this song feels too simple. For this album, the songs that were released as singles ...

• Issues, 1999 Album by Korn
      and the songs which are very usual and simple trash rockers with certain nu metal features, these songs are the ones that attract me personally least of all.

These songs have mainstream appeal, but they are not the true gold of this album. The gold, for me, is made up of the more complex and original songs that appear towards the end of the record, mostly. I would particularly mark such songs as Trash, Hey Daddy, No Way, Let’s Get This Party Started, Counting and Dirty.

These songs are not primitive trash metal pieces but they have complex structures, melodies and countermelodies, numerous changes and transitions during their course etc. And these songs also seem to

have a heavier emotional charge and weight than the other tracks. The emotion on these songs feel deeper and more genuine.

I like what Korn did with their sound on this record. And this record showcases a very significant thing about Korn as a band. Even though they achieved very high levels of fame and recognition, commercial success in the mainstream music industry, they were not actually sellouts.

Looking back at their music, and analyzing it, one realizes that they always made hard, heavy, serious trash metal music, that just happened to be very commercially successful at the time. This album shows how strong a band they were, and how masterful they were at combining the strongest melodies with the heaviest arrangements.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1412031604660931/k2311a0312/3.12.13