Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star (1994 Album by Sonic Youth)
  • And it has some features which are truly unique, interesting, and original
  • Also I like the fact that it has a very quiet sound and low-key arrangement with what appears to be barely tuned acoustic guitars
  • This marks the bands attitude to all this I think
  • I should be honest and say that this record is probably not for everyone, and yet I strongly recommend it to people who are into alternative rock music

• by mcguard85

This is not the best album by the band. This is not even one of their best albums. But at the same time this album is still very good. And it has some features which are truly unique, interesting, and original. This album is kind of experimental even for such an experimental band as Sonic Youth. But the great thing about this experimental nature of this album is that it is also very accessible and easy to perceive.

This album has several faces. Some of the songs are deep experimentation and noise, and weird tricks and unconventional arrangements, whereas other tracks are pretty normal, and very catchy, and very easy to perceive and are mainstream soft rock music, in essence, only with more unconventional colors in the arrangement. And I somehow like this mixture. It

pleases me in several ways. If it was only noise and hard and heavy material, I would not enjoy it.

And if there were only soft pop rock songs, the band would risk being accused of selling out. The songs are so different from each other on this album that they really should be assessed on an individual basis. I will mark the tracks which are special to me personally. Winner’s Blues, the opening track is very interesting. I loved this track as soon as I heard it.

It consists, basically, of a very sad sounding acoustic guitar and very fragile, faint vocals somewhere far in the back which sound like moaning, sad crying, with a repetitive pattern, with words going like: Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose… And it sounds desperate yet emotional and

interesting. Also I like the fact that it has a very quiet sound and low-key arrangement with what appears to be barely tuned acoustic guitars. This marks the bands attitude to all this I think. They could have just given this track a full arrangement, but they simply did not bother. They did whatever they wanted, whatever seemed correct artistically.

The next song is very famous of course. It is called Bull in the Heather, and it is a very characteristic song, with an unforgettable sound and astonishing vocal performance by Kim Gordon. In actual fact, this song and the video is one of the first things I remember in my life. When I was very small, maybe 5 or 6 years old, I used to watch TV with my parents, and they were watching ...

• Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star (1994 Album by Sonic Youth)
      MTV, and at the time this track was in the charts and quite popular. This is a great song.

Self-Obsessed and Sexxee is another remarkable yet easy, soft and accessible song. This song is really catchy. It has great guitars. I like how this song has a clear message and mood, like many Sonic Youth songs. I think that this song is about one’s being tired of the lover’s narcissism.

As far as the rest of the songs are concerned, they are rather individual, but at the same time they are all rather heavy and experimental, and unusual, with unpredictable development. From these songs I would mark out the track called Androgynous Mind. This track really stands out. This song has a pattern that is quite widespread for Sonic Youth songs, especially their earlier alternative

and noise rock records. It starts with a catchy guitar riff with a simple transition.

And there is also a rather catchy little verse section, but afterwards, instead of developing this line, the guitar riff instead becomes more and more intensive, the drums come in and start accelerating the pace, the vocals turn into screaming, and then they become louder and louder, and then the whole thing unites, and everything is totally crazy, there is just noise, loud noise. But the original rhythm is still there, and it sounds really energetic and heavy. I should be honest and say that this record is probably not for everyone, and yet I strongly recommend it to people who are into alternative rock music. This record stands out even within Sonic Youth discography, and the songs that I mentioned above are really highlights, remarkable tracks.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1412031604500931/k2311a0312/3.12.13