Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-S5360) Smartphone
  • Initially, I found my new Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-S5360) rather disappointing
  • In my opinion, the Samsung Galaxy Y isn't at all intuitive
  • My mother had the same problem - she couldn't figure out how to answer the phone for a couple of days
  • My next issue with the phone was its texting functionality
  • I think this is odd, but once again, it's easy enough to do once you know it

• by Jade Cunningham

Initially, I found my new Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-S5360) rather disappointing. This is mainly due to the fact that I did not bother to read the instructions on how to use this Smartphone. In my defence, I have never read the instructions for any other Smartphone I have had, and it has never caused me problems before. In my opinion, the Samsung Galaxy Y isn’t at all intuitive.

Let’s start off with the positive points, however. It looks and has the functionality of a good Smartphone at a very affordable price. It also looks great; you would never guess how inexpensive it is by looking at it. It has a nice touch screen and gives the impression of being a

sophisticated phone that you can show to all your friends, without shame! It’s a great Android phone for the budget conscious.

Now, let’s consider its flaws. Well, what a struggle I have had with this phone! First of all, who would guess that in order to answer a phone call, you don’t simply press the screen. No, instead, you have to slide your finger across the screen… I have no idea why and it doesn’t make any sense. Still, once you know how to do it, it’s easy to do. As a matter of fact, I went to the Carphone Warehouse as I wanted to find out why I couldn’t answer phone calls and the staff member who served me, laughed and said:

“My mother had the same problem - she couldn’t figure out how to answer the phone for a couple of days!” So, as you can see, it is not unusual to struggle with using this phone.

My next issue with the phone was its texting functionality. I found that whenever I opened a text from somebody, the next time I looked at my texts, the same text would open. I couldn’t view anybody else’s. Often, I would have the experience of being in the middle of reading a text from one person, and would then get a text from someone else. I was unable to look at the new text without switching my phone off and on again… This was very tedious! I ...

• Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-S5360) Smartphone
      eventually found out that although you touch the screen to send, open and browse through texts, when you want to close a text message, you have to use the very faint arrow on the bottom right of your phone, beneath the screen. I think this is odd, but once again, it’s easy enough to do once you know it!

There have been lots of little issues like this. For instance, I am still not sure why it is that I cannot end any calls I make to my Voicemail. I’m sure it’s a simple enough task once you know how to do it, but it is not obvious and it is not intuitive - and every phone should strive to be both.

Finally, you

can imagine my disappointment when trying to take photos with my phone… I soon realised that the Samsung Galaxy Y does not come with a memory card! I managed to buy a memory card for £10 but as you can imagine, most phones come with them and this means that the phone, although a reasonable price, isn’t as cheap as you might think when you buy it!

To sum up, now I have become used to my phone and mostly understand how to use it, I do like it. In terms of how it looks and what you can do with it, it is a perfectly good Smartphone to have. If you want to buy it, you should. However, please read the instructions!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3711031604330931/k2311a0311/3.11.13