Teenager of the Year, 1994 Album by Frank Black  » Music  »
  • Solo albums, so I thought at the time, are never likely to be as interesting and serious as the ones by the band itself
  • I read that Frank Black recorded this album very quickly, and I think in that he really let some crucial honesty come through
  • The song Headache continues in similar vein with lyrics like I got me so down, I got me a headache, I thought about my space, and I really got me down
  • And I recently read that some reputed music critics praise this album and include it into lists of the best albums of the 1990s decade

• by mcguard85

I am very happy that I had a chance to come across this fantastic record in my life. I feel that if I had never heard this record my life would have been less complete. This album is really good. The songs on this album are really special. I came to listen to this album by accident mostly.

I was very interested in the music by The Pixies, and so I once by chance came across this album, which is the second solo album by The Pixies frontman and primary song-writer Frank Black. And I was not very interested in his solo work. Solo albums, so I thought at the time, are never likely to be as interesting and serious as the ones by the band itself. I was thinking: I will rapidly skip through the album’s tracks.

But after

I started doing that, I had to stop. Something told me to stop because I actually turned out to be pretty interested in the music I was hearing. There was something very special and touching in that music. The thing I probably love about this record is its mood and the emotional weight of the songs.

The songs are really, deeply touching. I read that Frank Black recorded this album very quickly, and I think in that he really let some crucial honesty come through. I think that even in the Pixies this musician was quite straighforward and revealing in his sometimes cryptic lyrics, but on this solo record, I think that his defences and emotional censorship was even less substantial. I think that this album represents the artists emotional state really well.

There are several songs that seem to sound very hopeless and have some despair, but in a very honest and straightforward way. I feel like the artist is beginning to question his life, the meaning of life and how to make sense of it all. There are clear emotions of regret here. I think that Frank Black was about 28-29 when he recorded these songs, and I feel that that moment in his life was critical.

He had a normal life of an average guy before college, where he struggled with poverty and other issues. Then he found extreme and very sudden fame. And this album, from my point of view, shows how he is stagged by all these events, and life for him has had so many sudden changes it feels confusing. The first half of the album, the first ten or eleven songs are really ...

• Teenager of the Year, 1994 Album by Frank Black
      good.

The second half is not that strong. This first half has remarkable compositions, such as Abstract Plain, The Vanishing Spies, Headache, Two Reelers, Fiddle Riddle. These songs sound different from each other, and yet to me they have a common theme, and have a very special yet strong feeling of sadness. The song called Abstract Plain has rather striking imagery in lyrics, and I think that this song is about wanting to find a place where you are going to live in security and be happy, but knowing that in the real world such a place will never exist, and that would be available only in imagination.

Frank sings: I wonna live on an abstract plain. And it is remarkable that he paints a picture of a place just for himself, where he will be alone. He is crying

from lonliness, and yet he knows that this is what he is destined to. The song called The Vanishing Spies very strongly expresses the feelings of despair.

It is about wanting something that can’t take place. The literal meaning of the lyrics is about satelites that got lost, but figuratively this song is also about loneliness, about not having a successful communication. The song Headache continues in similar vein with lyrics like I got me so down, I got me a headache, I thought about my space, and I really got me down. I love this album.

And I recently read that some reputed music critics praise this album and include it into lists of the best albums of the 1990s decade. This means that not only is the music on this record emotionally very powerful, but it is also of very high quality.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 148031604240831/k2311a038/3.8.13