Untouchables, 2002 Album by Korn
  • It is probably irresponsible to throw arround claims like this without any evidence or explanation, and this is why I should probably explain why I dislike the album, for there must be reasons for my dislike
  • I think that Korn have simplified their sound for this record
  • They definitely did not want to elaborate, they did not want to expand their range
  • But on their second, third and fourth albums the sound was rather varied and interesting

• by mcguard85

It is strange for me to realize that this album was released more than ten years ago now. It makes me realize how my teenage years are rather far behind way in the past now. I just remember buying and listening to this album as if it was really recently. But these are strange aspects of memory. What matters is the album itself. I find it rather difficult to explain why, but I have a rather serious feeling of dislike for this record. I did not like a single tune that I heard here, I did not like the sound. It is probably irresponsible to throw arround claims like this without any evidence or explanation, and this is why I should probably explain why I dislike the album, for there must be

reasons for my dislike.

I did not like the sound of this album. I think that Korn have simplified their sound for this record. They definitely did not want to elaborate, they did not want to expand their range. They have gone for a very simple and safe approach. They create a very primitive blast of trash guitars which sound in good enough balance, but at the same time are heavy in an unappleaing way. On the previous albums the guitars were more varied. There was more experimentation. On their first album the sound was rather raw. But on their second, third and fourth albums the sound was rather varied and interesting. The sound evolved. For this album they have gone back to a basic approach. But there are two reasons against that.

The first one is that the first album was recorded in 1994, and the music world has changed a lot, and Korn themselves had changed a lot in that time. So, people are not likely to be satisfied with what they could get eight years before. And the next reason is that the content of the music on their first album is considerably different from the substance of this 2002 album, Untouchables. The first record was in essence, a load of rhythm and trash metal with simple chords. The 2002 album is a lot more melodic, but the arrangement is the same old trash metal. These elements are not very compatible. Quite on the contrary, they make a freaky overall impression.

This album is noticeably more melodic than their previous records, but I ...

• Untouchables, 2002 Album by Korn
      think that the melodies are not very good, and they do not sound impressive. Melodic music, making soft melodies is not what Korn are famous for, since they are a metal band. So, their melodies, to me personally, sound rather substandard and immature. For example, the song Here to Stay, in its melodic content is a cheap pop song, but it has this trash metal arrangement that makes it sound strange. The song Thoughtless is even more weird. The chorus is melodic, with a heavy, imposing, exploding tune, but the verse section is trying to be about rhythm and being a metal band. And the actual result is not impressive at all. I hated that song. The chorus gets old very quickly, the sound is primitive, and I did not like
      the video for it either, with the weird clothing and style that the guys had.

Alone I Break is also such a predictable, basic melody that does not deserve to even be a song.

And I have enumerated the most notable tracks of the album. The other songs did not impress me at all, since they are very similar to each other, all of them being in a very similar vein to Here to Stay. And all of the songs have melodies that are simple to see through, but they however, are not very pleasant, and get old really quickly.

I think that Korn simply did not try very hard when they were recording this record. This music is what they should create just for fun and practice. Their previous record were substantially higher in standard.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 148031604220831/k2311a038/3.8.13