Wattay Airport, Vientiane, Laos
  • The distance between this airport and Vientiane city center is claimed to be 3 km, but I think it is slightly longer as my taxi took me between 12 to 15 minutes from my hotel to the airport early in the morning when the streets were still empty
  • As far as airport transfer to city center is concerned, the best transportation mode is taxi

• by Pusaka

Wattay is the only airport in the capital city of Laos, Vientiane. The distance between this airport and Vientiane city center is claimed to be 3 km, but I think it is slightly longer as my taxi took me between 12 to 15 minutes from my hotel to the airport early in the morning when the streets were still empty.

The international arrival hall is small but it has basic facilities such as money changer and a few restaurants. Do change your money at BCEL just after baggage claim area as it has better rate throughout Vientiane.

As far as airport transfer to city center is concerned, the best transportation mode is taxi. Buy your taxi voucher at the taxi kiosk (just before the main exit of the arrival hall) for 7 US dollars or 57000 kip flat rate to the city center (until recently, it is better to pay by US dollar as the exchange rate is 7920 kip to one dollar as per March 2013). Going back to the airport by taxi can be a bit annoying especially in the night time (until 6 am) as they charge you 80000 kip ...

• (compared to as low as 50000 kip in the day time). So do arrange your flight schedule better. Do not forget to pick-up a free tourist map of Vientiane somewhere in the airport. If you miss it, ask your taxi driver. He may give you one. My taxi driver did.

On the way back to the airport, if you are to fly abroad you have to examine whether your flight will transit domestically, as it is not always clearly printed on your e-ticket. In my case, my (Lao Airlines) flight was to head to Siem Reap

(Cambodia) but I did not realize that it would transit at Pakse (Laos). My taxi dropped me at the entrance of the international departure hall. It was about 5 am, and I was there in an almost empty hall without any persons who could speak English, not even in the Lao Airlines office. Do not expect clear English signboards within the airport. At last a security officer directed me to another building which later I realized as the domestic departure hall which is located five minutes away on foot to your left when exiting through the main gate.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 408031604140831/k2311a038/3.8.13