Step by Step Bread by Caroline Bretherton book  » Books  »
  • I love the recipes because they are all things I normally eat and have always wanted to make
  • My biggest issue when it comes to making bread is having the correct temperature for the yeast to form

• by C.Channing

I’m such a bread person it’s not even funny! It’s a miracle and a thanks to my genetics that I’m not a huge marshmallow because I eat bread at least three times a day, maybe more depending on where I am and how fresh it is.

Bread making from scratch is one of those skills I have been practicing, but not yet mastered. Luckily my library has a decent collection of bread making books which is how I came across Step-By-Step Bread.

Step-By-Step Bread is literally

a step by step course in how to make bread. It goes through the fundamentals and the basics of properly making bread that comes out great, and recipes that are used in bakeries are included in this book. I love the recipes because they are all things I normally eat and have always wanted to make.

The pictures are great because there are hundreds of them that are provided as illustrations for me to follow along with. By following the pictures I am sure to recreate the recipe that way it was intended to come out. It’s like have an invisible instructor in the kitchen with me, and the process is simplified so that I now understand how to accurately execute the bread recipes in the book. My biggest issue when it comes to making bread is having the correct temperature for the yeast to form.

It’s either too hot or too cold, and I’m glad the book is full of demonstrations for me to correct my previous mistakes.

• Step by Step Bread by Caroline Bretherton book
      In the beginning I felt as if the recipes were difficult because of my previous bad experiences with trying to make bread, but once I really studied the beginning which is a mini course about the fundamentals and basics of bread I was able to catch on to the recipes. The directions were the most overwhelming part of the book for me because there just so much to do and I would get flustered. But now that I find it to be the easiest
      since I finally understand what is being said.

Step by Step bread is great for someone who wants to learn how to make their own pastries and breads like a professional chef. There are lots of wonderful food pictures to look at and study, and there are plenty of demonstration photographs to ensure that you following the recipe and doing the techniques correctly. This book takes the confusion out of bread making and I rate it as excellent. It should be on every home cook’s shelf.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 177031604080931/k2311a037/3.7.13