College Student Insurance (CSI Protection)  » Insurance  »
0.5
  • My policy cost $124 for one year of protection (for $5000 with a $50 deductible), which I found very reasonable

• by Alex

I have a renter’s insurance policy with CSI Insurance, which is an affiliate of Allianz Insurance. My policy cost $124 for one year of protection (for $5000 with a $50 deductible), which I found very reasonable. My house was broken into while empty over the Christmas break, and my TV, jewelry box full of jewelry and perfume, and a few other small things were stolen. My roommate discovered it and filed a police report immediately. When I returned from the break, I filed a claim with CSI. They contacted me quickly, only two days later, via email. That’s when everything went downhill.

First, I had already replaced my TV before filing my claim. When I went to buy a new one, Best Buy no longer had the same one at the store, so I ended up buying a more expensive (but the same size)

TV. Their estimate way undervalued the TV, and they justified it by saying I should have had Best Buy order the TV for me for free. They also used a sale price for the TV and said I should have bought it on sale.

The first settlement proposal they sent only contained this undervalued cost of my TV, leaving out all my other stolen items. The agent claimed that it was a mistake and sent me a new proposal, but that one valued my jewelry and perfume all together at $100. When I questioned it, she told me that they needed evidence of ownership for everything that was stolen over $100. I had already explained that all of my jewelry was several years old and much of it had been gifts, so I didn’t have receipts, but each individual item was worth much less ...

• than $100. There was absolutely no common sense applied, so she just cut it down to $100. She then asked me to provide a breakdown of every piece of jewelry and perfume, which I did.

The next settlement proposal only showed sales tax for my TV, and had it at 6.25%, while the city I live in has 8.25% sales tax. They fixed the sales tax without any explanation and said they only apply sales tax for items I could show proof of purchase for. So basically they would believe that I owned the items but not that I ever paid taxes on them.

At that point I was very angry and threatened to report them to the state insurance board and the Better Business Bureau, so my claim was sent on to an agent at Allianz, the parent company, with absolutely no explanation

or apology. I had to start the whole process over again. This agent called me to tell me that she wouldn’t give me the full value for my jewelry or perfume and wouldn’t give me sales tax for anything but the TV. After a heated argument and more threatening to report the company, she gave me a random settlement amount that was much higher than any other amount I had either received or claimed, seemingly just to get rid of me. I suppose it worked because I accepted the settlement, but I don’t want anyone else to go through the nightmare I had to go through to get to that point. As a company that caters specifically to college students, they must get away with most of those things all the time. They are either dishonest or incompetent, or a terrible combination of the two.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 586031603950931/k2311a036/3.6.13