Don’t Believe the Truth, 2005 Album by Oasis  » Music  »
  • And I love the two brothers who are at the core of this band
  • They are very interesting personalities, and their relationship is rather interesting to observe
  • Now, this song definitely has some decent guitar playing
  • The Importance of Being Idle is probably the best song on the record
  • I did not like it much at the time I bought it, which was very soon after it was released, in the summer of 2005

• by mcguard85

Oasis is a band that occupies a very special place in my heart. Their 1995 album, What’s the Story, Morning Glory was basically the first CD we ever had in our household, because back 1995 most people still listened to LPs, and so did we. That album is very special to me. And I love the two brothers who are at the core of this band. They are very interesting personalities, and their relationship is rather interesting to observe. I wish very much I could say that even ten years after the release of that very special album the brothers still come up with challenging, gripping and exciting music, but I am afraid I can’t just do that. Don’t get me wrong, I would still class this album as average at least.

I would give it a six out of ten. But, compared

to the heights the brothers reached back in the 1990s, this album staggers by its low quality material. The album starts with the track called Turn up the Sun. Now, this song definitely has some decent guitar playing. The guitar line sounds rather intriguing. But melodically this song is seriously flawed, or, maybe, at least seriously lacking in quality.

And even though Liam is probably doing his best trying to breathe in some energy into the vocal line, the melody still feels unnatural, raw, not smooth, forced. When Liam is forcing out I carry your madness, everywhere I go… this does not even sound like music, not like a melody. It sounds more like an imbalanced guy shouting something out in despare, in a not very sober fashion. And this melody also does not seem to be going anywhere. It is a hopeless dead-end. Some of the songs on the album are totally worthless.

When you listen to them, you feel like you have been fooled. Into this class belong the following songs: Love Like a Bomb, The Meaning of Soul, Guess God Thinks I’m Abel, A Bell Will Ring. These songs have no content. They are void. They have some pretty basic, uninspired, primitive tunes at their bases, and these tunes receive no elaboration. There is repetition, and the melodies are so poor, that they get tiring and dull even though the songs themselves are not very long.

If the album had only songs like the ones I mentioned above, it would deserve a grade no higher than 2. But, fortunately, there are some tracks here which deserve at least some credit. There is the song called Mucky Fingers. It is a very primitive song,

• Don't Believe the Truth, 2005 Album by Oasis
      but it has serious touches. It sounds at least properly composed. It is not messy.

However, it is arranged in a rather substandard and unimpressive way, with narrow sound, and its three chord sequence gets tiring after a while. Lyla is a rather good song, and it actually has a pretty good sound to it too. The Importance of Being Idle is probably the best song on the record. It has a very interesting, mature and serious record. It has superb arrangement, with a great guitar section, nice drums. Noel is doing rather good singing here as well.

Let There Be Love is a nice slow ballad, but it sounds pretty basic. It this song were released by a young band, it would have been totally dismissed as naive and primitive material. Part of the Queue and Keep the Dream Alive are two

songs which probably have a lot in common, from the point of view of tempo and arrangement type, the dynamic. And these songs are very good. Part of the Queue has a very interesting, eternally spinning type of melody, whereas Keep the Drem Alive is very catchy, particularly in the verse section, and Liam is performing well on it, and the song has a very impressive wide kind of sound. Well, this record is what it is.

I did not like it much at the time I bought it, which was very soon after it was released, in the summer of 2005. I remember that day very vividly in fact since it was during a trip. I dismissed and discredited the whole album then. It really was beloe my expectations for the band. But having listened to it recently, after a while, I should say that some of the songs are rather good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 146031603920931/k2311a036/3.6.13