Bloodflowers, 2000 Album by The Cure
  • I think that this record has a very good sound, even by the Cure standards
  • The best sound element is of course the guitar
  • Even the second song, Watching Me Fall, with its duration over eleven minutes, manages not to waste space, but to actually have eleven minutes of interesting content and development

• by mcguard85

This album was one of the first albums by the Cure that I listened to. It was quite a long time ago. It took place, in fact, probably in the year when this album was released. And then I loved these songs a lot. They seemed magic and otherworldly. When I listen to this album now, in my adult years, the music no longer feels magical of course, but I still find it extremely good.

What I liked about this album when I first listened to it was mostly the sound, the special way in which this music was arranged. And I liked the slower songs, like song number six. Back then I had the actual physical CD of the album, and it had about fiver or six bonus tracks from the previous Cure albums, and, I remember that I actually liked some of those bonus tracks, probably even more than the tracks on the new album. But it was only because those bonus tracks were very catchy, as I now know, they were some

of the band’s biggest hits. I liked the music then, but the way in which I perceived those tracks was probably very superficial. I did not get very deep into the content, and of course, could not juxtopose the music to much of other work by the Cure. Now, when I listen to this album, I still recall the special feeling I experienced about this record when I was a child, but I also have more mature thoughts about it.

I was enchanted by the sound of this record when I was a pre-teen, listening to it, and I actually still am. I think that this record has a very good sound, even by the Cure standards. The sound created on this album is rather unique and original. On the one hand, Robert Smith has picked and mixed several traditional elements of the band’s sound. There are some features from their early 1980s sound, most prominently - the guitars, and there are other features from the 1990s, the more rock-oriented elements. But this album does

not only dwell on the past, but has new sound elements as well, something you will never hear on the band’s previous releases. And the most remarkable thing from my point of view is how all these various features still blend in very well with each other. They do not quarell with one another, there do not seem to be any conflicts, but instead these elements, which would otherwise seem very disparate, combine really well. The best sound element is of course the guitar. There are several guitar types here. I love them all. There is the heavy distorted rock guitar, and there is a considerable amount of acoustic guitar sounds as well.

The sound of this record, great though it is, still would not suffice for a good record. What makes this album really good is the music itself, the strong and memorable melodies that shine on all of the album’s tracks. There are not many songs on this record - only ten, but these songs are really serious and impressive. They are rather ...

• Bloodflowers, 2000 Album by The Cure
      long, a fact, proven by the total length of the album - 64 minutes. These songs have complex melodic structures. They are all very well elaborated. Even though it is 64 minutes long, the album is very tight. Even the second song, Watching Me Fall, with its duration over eleven minutes, manages not to waste space, but to actually have eleven minutes of interesting content and development.

I literally couldn’t pick any special tracks in particular from this album because they are all equally impressive. The opening song Out of the World justifies its title very well. It does sound surreal. There are such great, memorable sound effects here which seem to paint an entire world by music. This song sounds very sad, but in a reassuring, the Cure kind of a way. Watching Me Fall is probably the most dynamic and heavy song of the album. It features a nice heavy riff and quite explosive chorus section. Maybe Someday is a very catchy song, built around a very memorable and fortunate combination of chords,

and it sounds so solid that you would think it should have been released by the Cure earlier. The Last Day of Summer is another song on this album which is really emotional, with the main emotion, of course, being sadness. And the song called There is no if… is very catchy. Both the verse and the chorus are really catchy, and they are fit very well. This is a very interesting sad love song. The rest of the tracks are equal in quality to the songs I have just mentioned. It is just that maybe they are not that memorable. The final track, called Bloodflowers, is very imposing, it sounds grand. It has a very grand drum section, which strings the song elements together, and this song sounds like it could come from the Cure’s 1982 album.

I can assure anybody that this album is very good. Hand on heart, I will assert that, from my point of view, this is the fourth greatest album by the Cure. This means that there is some really good music here.

Irene Prati says :

re : Even the second song, Watching Me Fall, with its duration over eleven minutes, manages not to waste space, but to actually have eleven minutes of interesting content and development
I like this album. One of the best album i losten in my life

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 146031603910931/k2311a036/3.6.13