The Wine Bible by Karen MacNeil book
  • For some time now I have wanted to learn about wine because when I was in college I had a bad experience with red wine, and that experience alone made me turn away from wine
  • The book begins with what makes wine great by asking you to consider what thoughts of wine are, and can you determine good wine from bad with a clear mind instead of preconceived notions
  • Also, I learned how important yeast is to transforming wine into its finished product along with other steps
  • My favorite part of the book is the regions portion which describes in detail which types of wines are predominant in their region, the various wines made based from it, how it is produced, how to pair it, etc. Reading this section felt the longest because there was so much information to take in, and there are a lot of wines available for consumption

• by C.Channing

For some time now I have wanted to learn about wine because when I was in college I had a bad experience with red wine, and that experience alone made me turn away from wine.

Lately, however, I have been thinking maybe the reason my experience with wine was so bad is because I didn’t have a firm understanding of exactly which red wine I was drinking, and how to pick wines to suit my tastes.

I had previously checked this book out from my local library, and it was so massive that I knew I had to get my own copy because four weeks of reading The Wine Bible would not be

enough for me to get the firm understanding of wine I was looking for.

The title of this book alone says it all. The Wine Bible is a complete wine course about everything you could ever want and need to know about wine. It covers the origins of grape and how they are produced, to the different types of wines available on the market, how to pair wine with food and so on.

On the front of the cover it refers to this book as being a comprehensive guide to wine, and it’s exactly what it is. The book begins with what makes wine great by asking you to consider what thoughts of wine

are, and can you determine good wine from bad with a clear mind instead of preconceived notions.

There is a mastering wine section that teaches you how to recognize great wine by learning five qualities to tasting: distinct varietal character, integration, expressiveness, complexity and connectedness. All playing a role in choosing wines that fit my taste and has been a ongoing practice to implement all the tasting qualities properly.

Like a few people who are familiar with the bare basics of wine making, I knew wine was made from grapes, but I didn’t know or understand the process. The author takes you through the structure of the grape and how it is used in ...

• The Wine Bible by Karen MacNeil book
      wine. For example, the skin of a grape gives it the aroma wine drinkers take in. Also, I learned how important yeast is to transforming wine into its finished product along with other steps.

The book progresses to how wine is made, the type of grapes that make the varieties available in stores and supermarkets, and how to shop for them comfortably and knowledgably.

so much information to take in, and there are a lot of wines available for consumption. So making sure I had the name and taste right with the correct country it comes from. It’s just so much to get down, but I’m learning it slowly but surely.

The Wine Bible is a great wine course if you can’t afford to attend classes in your city. So much detail is covered about wine and how it is created, and how to recognize great wine based on what you know instead of what you feel. Now when I go into a wine section of a store I don’t feel as clueless when I’m choosing one to either entertain or cook with.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 175031603810931/k2311a035/3.5.13