Stoned Raiders, 2001 Album by Cypress Hill  » Music  »
  • I found out about this side of Cypress Hill, about their origins, only later, and when I was about fourteen, I purchased this record, and these are the reasons I liked it then
  • The rappers share their experience and put forward really mature and interesting ideas

• by mcguard85

This was the record that introduced me to Cypress Hill, and I liked it a lot back when I started listening to it, and I still think that it is a very good record. In actual fact, even now, when I have heard all the Cypress Hill records, and have listened to some of them in quite some detail, I still think that this album stands strong in their remarkable canon. Cypress Hill is a band that acquired success way back in the early 1990s, when I had just been born, and when the guys from the band were still in their early twenties. I found out about this side of Cypress Hill, about their origins, only later, and when I was about fourteen, I

purchased this record, and these are the reasons I liked it then.

I loved the fact that on Stoned Raiders Cypress Hill make several attempts to unite rock music and rap music. This movement was very popular then. And what I found remarkable about Cypress Hill is that they achieved this combination in a very successful way, and also in a unique way.

Cypress Hill are a band with a remarkable rap legacy. They are the veterans of rap music, having started a very long time ago. And one would think that them beginning to incorporate rock and metal guitar riffs and drums would sound fake, bogus.

But, if you thought that, you would be well wrong. They have taken in rock guitars really well.

• They still retain their hard rapping verses, they do not try to sing, and it sounds really intensive and convincing.

I actually was into rap music when I was about thirteen, and once I was at a disco with my friend, where there were rap performances and rap music played, and the song Trouble came on. And I was very interested by that song. It was very energizing, particularly in its chorus, with a great shouting moment and an energetic guitar riff.

And only some time later I found out about Cypress Hill, accidentally, stumbling upon this CD in a record store, and finding this song there. But you know what, there are songs on this record that even trump the super hit Trouble. I

mean the great track called Bitter.

It has very beautiful guitar playing, a fantastic drum line which is very complex, but there are also great rapping verses there. Throughout the entire album the lyrics are really strong. The rappers share their experience and put forward really mature and interesting ideas.

It Aint Easy, is another song in this style, with great guitars and great verses with fantastic lyrics. Catastrophe is a great hardcore track. And the other tracks on the record are also really impressive, with their more traditional Cypress Hill, yet more modern sound.

There are some really great collaborations here as well with other rappers. Cypress Hill are a great band, and, even though they have a formidable discography, this album is up there, as one of their very best.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 145031603780931/k2311a035/3.5.13