Vol.3 (The Subliminal Verses), Slipknot Album
1.5
  • I think that this album is a disappointment
  • Vermillion, to me, is a very boring song indeed
  • To me, this album revealed that Slipknot is not the kind of band I thought they were
  • They abandoned interesting electronic arrangement moments, nice industrial and hardcore touches, and went instead for more melodic, softer rock, more listener friendly music

• by mcguard85

I think that this album is a disappointment. I started listening to this album as soon as it was released, in 2004. And even then I immediately disliked what I heard. The music simply did not impress me then. I felt untouched and uninterested by the music I heard. I just felt that the Slipknot that I knew and loved was gone, and in its stead was a rather bland and typical metal band.

Recently I was reading a review of this album on some website, and the critical view of this album was positive there. The critics said the album showed

progress and improvements for the bad. But I could simply not believe that. This view was totally opposite to what I myself thought. This album does not have what you would expect from Slipknot.

I really loved their album Iowa. That album was the first metal album that I loved. I was really young when I heard it, maybe 13. At the time Limp Bizkit was as hard as music got for me. Anything heavier than that I could not perceive at all.

But an older friend lent me Iowa, their previous album, and I remember sitting down on the soft and

listening to that album from start to finish, and loving what I heard. That album was very heavy indeed. That album was heavy by heavy music standards. But that heaviness created remarkable energy. The drive and emotional power of that album was extreme.

The 2004 album is simply lacking that. The rage does not sound genuine, it sounds contained, empty. The music does not feel very inspired. All the tracks sound very hard-pushed. The track which was one of the most prominent singles – duality, is really mediocre.

At the base of this song is content which is quite alien to metal ...

• Vol.3 (The Subliminal Verses), Slipknot Album
      music. If this song was arranged differently it could be a popular dance track. This is a low standard from Slipknot. The track Before I Forget, which also had a video, and was a later single, that I remember got popular in the spring of 2005, this song, is also mediocre. This song is surely in between.

It lacks the metal power, but it also is not that melodic, which means that this track is quite a failure, since it tries to be both, probably. Vermillion, to me, is a very boring song indeed. It is so lackluster and dull. Maybe Slipknot

thought that they will widen their range by putting out a slow ballad, but in actual fact they only managed to display their weak sides, showed how not very much able they are to strike a good melody. I think that Slipknot made a major misstep with this album.

To me, this album revealed that Slipknot is not the kind of band I thought they were. They abandoned interesting electronic arrangement moments, nice industrial and hardcore touches, and went instead for more melodic, softer rock, more listener friendly music. And I just think that they are not very good at this type of thing. They have failed.

quick note by anonymous :

I can’t say I agree. I have been listening to Slipknot for a while now, and loved everything since their 1999 album. I think that the band really enjoys making experimental albums, and do a great job with it. The Subliminal Verses has some really good tracks even if they don’t follow the classic Slipknot sounds. I really appreciated the release, and still listen to it today.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 144031603490331/k2311a034/3.4.13