Alex Haley Queen Mini Series  » TV  »
  • The mini-series appeared on television in the early 90s, and even though Halle Berry had been a working actress prior to landing the leading role in the mini-series, I think it was her first breakout role as a leading actress
  • I thought Halle Berry did a great job as Queen, and the role probably affected her performance even more since she is a bi-racial woman
  • It made me think about some of the stereotypes that I see as an African-American woman that are exactly like the ones Queen had to endure because unfortunately they still do exist
  • A learning lesion indeed, but I wouldn’t recommend this movie be seen by anyone under the age of 17

• by C.Channing

Alex Haley’s Queen was my first exposure to any of Alex Haley’s work. The mini-series appeared on television in the early 90s, and even though Halle Berry had been a working actress prior to landing the leading role in the mini-series, I think it was her first breakout role as a leading actress.

The mini-series Queen is about Alex Haley’s ancestor, Queen. The series begins by following her mother’s love affair with her slave owner, and then progresses to Queen’s birth and follows her life as a slave and then a free woman. It also focuses on her life as a bi-racial

person and the thoughts and perceptions of dark skin slaves when it came to lighter bi-racial slaves.

Although the mini-series main focus is Queen, it also documents the history of blacks in history and their struggle as slaves and then to freedom. A lot of well-known actors starred in this movie such as Tim Daly who would eventually go on to star in the USA Network series “Wings”.

The movie runs about six hours long which is why I don’t very often, but when I do get the chance I make sure to pay attention as well as enjoy the performances of the actors. I thought Halle Berry did a great job as Queen, and the role probably affected her performance even more since she is a bi-racial woman.

One of the most disturbing things about the series was how the dark skin slaves treated her because she of her complexion. They made fun of her as a child because all the slaves knew who her father was except for her, and they felt as if she got special treatment because of her complexion.

I actually researched situations such as this and found that it was in fact true light skin slaves were treated ...

• Alex Haley Queen Mini Series
      better and usually worked in the house either cleaning or cooking, but never in the fields with the darker slaves. It made me think about some of the stereotypes that I see as an African-American woman that are exactly like the ones Queen had to endure because unfortunately they still do exist.

I think what draws me to this movie is that it is so accurate to that particular time period. There are a lot of graphic things occurring in the movie such as people being hung or rape situations, and it is unfortunate that those things are part of history especially

black history. However, I think Alex Haley did a wonderful job portraying the life of Queen in the most accurate manor without being theatrical at all.

The movie evokes a serious tone, and I think it is great for educating people about American history and how this country was really formed. It’s great that the US is a free nation; however, it took centuries of cruelty and abuse in order to get that way, and people are still fighting to get equal rights and privileges. A learning lesion indeed, but I wouldn’t recommend this movie be seen by anyone under the age of 17.

Andrew Leither says :

I think I will enjoy this television series. It seems Alex Haley Queen knows how to act in this series. I like the feel of it and very interesting, got great characters and story line with interesting plot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 104031603450331/k2311a034/3.4.13