Platos Closet Consignment Store  » Shopping  »
0.5
2701 SW College Road, Ocala, FL
  • I can honestly say after the experience I had with Plato’s Closet I will never do business with them again
  • I had an overflow of jeans in good condition that I thought I could unload with Plato’s Closet but sadly that was not the case
  • I definitely don’t support stores that are selective to a particular “type” of items sold in their stores

• by C.Channing

I can honestly say after the experience I had with Plato’s Closet I will never do business with them again! I’ve always seen their commercials on television, but never shopped there or sold anything to them. I had an overflow of jeans in good condition that I thought I could unload with Plato’s Closet but sadly that was not the case.

I had never been in a Plato’s Closet store so I didn’t really know what to expect. When I walked in the store it looked like a regular, small clothing store you would find in a shopping center. I had to walk up to the register and fill out a sales paper with my information on it

and it was used as a ticket, and the girl checking my items said it would be fifteen to thirty minutes before she could give me a price quote.

There were people ahead of me in line which is why I had to wait, and I didn’t really mind so I just browsed the store. A lot of the clothes sold in there I could find a target or TJ Maxx for better prices.

My bad experience didn’t really occur until I was called for a price quote, and the sales associate let me know they couldn’t buy my jeans because they were “urban” and urban clothes don’t sell well. I knew I had a lot of Baby Phat ...

• jeans, but not the ones with the brand’s signature written all over the leg or across the butt. I politely informed the girl I just passed by some Apple Bottom clothes which is an urban clothing line created by a rapper. It doesn’t get any more urban than that.

She continued to explain to me that it was store policy and that they can only sell items that are on trend and that urban clothes don’t sell well. I was so offended especially at the fact Apple Bottom clothes were clearly on their hangers, but I let it go and told her I did not want the store to keep my information because I would never do

business with them again.

Overall, I will never do business with Plato’s Closet as long as I live. I was insulted at how the word urban was used considering that had an urban brand available for sale, and I disliked the fact the sales associate tried to hide behind a stupid company policy to justify not wanting to purchase my clothes. The jeans were only worn once and I thought someone on a budget could make good use out of them. I definitely don’t support stores that are selective to a particular “type” of items sold in their stores; never will I purchase anything from them or feel the need to walk into any their stores as long as I live.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 241031603340731/k2311a031/3.1.13