Makeuseof.com  » Web sites  »
  • I wanted to write this review because Makeuseof is the best source I have found recently for help in learning about new to me computer software programs, the internet, tips about software that I am already using, and good free download information
  • My favorite part of my discovery was they offer over 50 free guides on various subjects and printable cheat sheets
  • In case you are wondering if this site would only interest techno geeks or people in their early twenties, I can honestly say I think anyone could find something of interest on this site
  • I highly recommend this website and newsletter to everyone

• by patwrites

I just recently discovered a website I want to tell you about called Makeuseof.com. This is actually a daily blog that was originally launched in 2006 and is based in Denmark. Makeuseof.com declares its main goals are to guide us through the web and internet, tell us about cool websites we don’t know about, tell us about the best software programs, and to give us all kinds of “how to” tips for Windows, Linux, and Mac computer users. They are striving to help us become more productive. In my opinion, Makeuseof.com is successfully meeting its goals.

I wanted to write this review because Makeuseof is the best source I have found recently for help in learning about new to me computer software programs, the internet, tips about software that I am already using, and good free download information. My favorite part of my discovery was they offer over 50 free guides on various subjects and printable cheat sheets.

For example some of the guides I downloaded for free: Managing eBooks with Calibre, How to become a Gmail Power User, a guide for using Google Chrome, Kindle Fire Manual Guide, Your Guide to Pinterest, and more. Some of the free cheat sheets I was able to download for free: Twitter Cheat sheet, Facebook Shortcuts, Gmail shortcuts, Internet Explorer shortcuts, Google Chrome shortcuts, Itune shortcuts – and many more.

Makeuseof has a directory of the best websites divided by categories and also by whether they are web applications or mobile apps. You can ask tech questions and get answers from other readers and sometimes Makeuseof writers jump in to help too. They have a section just for fun called Makeuseof Geeky Fun, where you can browse hilarious techy videos and cartoons. They have a section on the site called Makeuseof Rewards where you can earn commercial software and enter exclusive giveaways. This is their way of rewarding ...

• you for getting involved on the website and for commenting and sharing. Right now they have an exclusive Twitter giveaway for a Livescribe Sky Wi-fi Smartpen. To enter all you have to do is follow them on Twitter, and then share a tweet about the giveaway with a link that you get on Makeusof.com. I think that’s pretty cool. And just so you know, I am not getting any reward from this review other than being able to help other people by letting them know about Makeuseof.com.

The only con I found about Makeuseof.com was that to participate in the giveaways and/or to be able to download all of their great free guides and cheat sheets they ask you to sign up for a free account. However they make this so easy to do – it’s a no-brainer. The only information you need to give them is your email address or you can also subscribe by RSS

feed. I used my email address and now I am lucky enough to get their newsletter 5 days a week. The newsletter gives you the most info on the most popular stuff on the site, one handy tip, and sometimes even gives the scoop about giveaways not announced on their website!

In case you are wondering if this site would only interest techno geeks or people in their early twenties, I can honestly say I think anyone could find something of interest on this site. I am a baby boomer, no techno wiz, but very much interested in a lot of computer software programs, the internet and learning new things. I am sure some of their information and guides would thrill the techno geek people and then there are guides for newbies and baby boomers – anyone really that uses technology. I think that would be the majority of the population. I highly recommend this website and newsletter to everyone.

Makeuseof.com

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2020021602790928/k2311a0220/2.20.13