Vicks Nyquil Cold & Flu Nighttime Relief in Vanilla Cherry Swirl  » Medicine  »
  • When I saw this new flavor, I decided to give it a try, and I am fairly impressed with it
  • It can be a problem because it is difficult to sleep when you feel the need to grab a tissue
  • But it definitely slows down a runny nose despite not curing it entirely
  • Unfortunately, like all other Nyquils, you will most likely feel a bit of a hangover the next morning that makes you sluggish and out of it for at least the first few hours of your day
  • I will buy it again and recommend it to others

• by Melanie Noell

I have been using Nyquil when I have had bad colds since I was fairly young, but one thing I have always hated is the taste. The term “cough syrup taste” must refer specifically to the old school Nyquil that I used to take. When I saw this new flavor, I decided to give it a try, and I am fairly impressed with it.

Just like any other Nyquil, this new flavor does the same thing to help alleviate cold and flu symptoms. It is excellent for relieving aches and pains from a cold, which is necessary to help you sleep at night. It also reduces fever (if you have one) and relaxes

chest muscles to stop you coughing all night long. The bottle does claim that it helps prevent sneezing and stops a runny nose, but I still feel like my nose is a bit sniffly after taking Nyquil. It can be a problem because it is difficult to sleep when you feel the need to grab a tissue! But it definitely slows down a runny nose despite not curing it entirely. And while the symptoms don’t disappear permanently, it does keep teem away long enough to lull you into a good sleep. Unfortunately, like all other Nyquils, you will most likely feel a bit of a hangover the next morning that makes you sluggish and out of it for at least the first few hours of your day.

The new flavor isn’t amazing tasting by any means, but it is definitely better than any of the other flavors. The big problem is that it still has that sticky, thick/sweet flavor and texture as do other Nyquils that can make it a bit hard to get down. However, the vanilla flavoring adds a bit of lightness to the taste, brightening the overall flavor and making it easier to swallow. It also has less of that “cough syrup taste” that is typically associated with these products. I would give it about a 7/10 rating for taste; it’s still ...

• Vicks Nyquil Cold & Flu Nighttime Relief in Vanilla Cherry Swirl
      not great, but for cold medicine, it’s not bad!

One thing I’m not too thrilled about with this new flavor is the product labeling. I think they did a terrible job merchandising it because it’s barely distinguishable from the typical red “cherry” flavored Nyquil. The color of the syrup itself could be swirled or at least lighter so people could see a visible difference when buying this product. The product labeling is also terrible in that the only indication that it is vanilla cherry (versus regular cherry) is a tiny label in the upper lefthand corner that is in very small type. I almost missed it when I was buying it, and

if you don’t already know about this product, you will probably miss it, too. Even more unfortunate is that it would be really easy to pick up the wrong one and be stuck with the awful tasting “cherry” one.

Overall, this new flavor of Nyquil is a step in the right direction. It costs the same as the other Nyquil flavors and is far more palatable. Any apprehension I have had to take Nyquil from not wanting to deal with the flavor has dissipated thanks to this new product. It’s a good value for a product that works well and tastes better than the old version; I will buy it again and recommend it to others.

Stephanie says :

Nyquil has been the only product that let’s be sleep at night and I have noticed it being hard to wake up in the morning, but I always blamed that on my cold, not the cold medicine. I’ll have to pay more attention to this in the future.

Melanie Noell replies :

I’m fairly sensitive to medicine, but I can definitely feel a difference between a groggy sick feeling and that Nyquil hangover I get after sleeping with the medicine. I don’t think it affects everyone, but for me, I feel groggy the rest of the day

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2618021602710728/k2311a0218/2.18.13