October 1981 Music Album by U2
1.5
  • I thought that it was either an extended play, a big single or a collection of b-sides

• by mcguard85

And just what were U2 thinking when they were recording, and subsequently, releasing this album? It is one of the mysteries I have always been puzzled by. I am a huge U2 fan. Probably, currently not as big of a fan as I was in the past, in my early teens, but I still appreciate their music in an adult, more mature and responsible way. One of the things to appreciate as an adult is the consistency with which U2 have released their albums. They have released many albums, and almost all of those albums are good.

All,

apart from this one, the 1981 October. This album is considerably weaker than the only album that preceded it, U2’s debut LP called Boy. October does not seem to have any strong melodies. All the songs appear so second rate and unconvincing.

I do not know why this happened so. At the time the guys were still young, in their early twenties, they had found fame with the release of their strong debut, the expectations for them were pretty high. So why was it that they were not able to record any good material for their second album?

/> I remember lending this album from an older friend of mine, and listening to it. At the time I was still not familiar with most of their albums, but I was familiar with Boy though, and I liked it a lot.

And I remember putting this record on, listening to the songs and going, Is this for real. Is this U2? Is this the same band that I fell in love with? The guy who lent me this CD said that this album was rather rare, and I could not bring my head round to believe that ...

• October 1981 Music Album by U2
      this was a fully fledged album. I could not believe it. I thought that it was either an extended play, a big single or a collection of b-sides.

All the songs were so second rate and were so difficult to like and so easy to dislike. At first, I did not know whatever happened to their cool sound. In Boy they clearly found a great individual signature sound of their own. The guitars by the Edge must have been the highlight of the sound, but it was not only that though.

In the second album they seemed to

have scrapped their great sound and have gone to change it for something which was really conventional and usual. This album has a typical sound for the music of that ear, early 1980s post punk music. The melodies are so unconvincing. They feel to be so forced and not organic, not natural, not catchy.

I did not enjoy the lyrics either. I will name a couple songs. The list includes Gloria, October, Stranger in a Strange Land. This is it.

These are three decent tunes. These are songs that have the right to be. They are OK. All the other songs are totally useless.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 148021602180928/k2311a028/2.8.13