LaCie Rugged USB3.0 256GB SSD Thunderbolt Series
  • I was running a bit low on storage so I decided to get a portable storage medium to move my media files over to leave more space on my computer for programs
  • I think a 128GB storage solution would have been enough, but I am just thinking ahead to all the future content I will need to store
  • I do not recommend using the Windows native file transfer operation because it tends to be much slower
  • Teracopy crashed on me twice now, which isn't surprising as I've had this problem when transferring large files
  • However, these are actually standard across all LaCie devices so I wouldn't really consider them features

• by MisterTickle

I’m a big fan of LaCie products mainly because they are the only ones delivering portable solid state drives accompanied with USB3.0 super fast connections. I was running a bit low on storage so I decided to get a portable storage medium to move my media files over to leave more space on my computer for programs. I have about 100GB of videos and another 20GB of photos and music. I think a 128GB storage solution would have been enough, but I am just thinking ahead to all the future content I will need to store.

The LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt series features several key advantages. The first one is the USB3.0 transfer. LaCie claims to offer 380 MB/s file transfer speed for the USB3.0 port and the Thunderbolt port. However, it is important to note that this speed is theoretical and not actual. Since I already know this, I am not too concerned regarding the actual speed. In fact, I’m pretty sure this speed can be reached if given enough memory and using the

right file transfer utility. However, I have tried and was unsuccessful. When I transferred my media files, I used my computer with 4GB of memory and the utility FastCopy version 2.11. I reached close to 300 MB/s, but not more than that. I had a couple of burst moments where I surpassed this, but at the end of the file transfer, the average file transfer speed was about 270 MB/s. This is pretty good for me so I will just accept it. I’m not too concerned with reaching the maximum speed as long as I actually achieve a decent speed. I do not recommend using the Windows native file transfer operation because it tends to be much slower. I tried copying a 1GB file and only got a speed of 50 MB/s, which is quite slow considering I can get a 30 MB/s from a flash drive using the FastCopy utility. Also, I do not recommend the Teracopy utility. At first, I got an unsuccessful download due to a crash. Teracopy crashed on me
      twice now, which isn’t surprising as I’ve had this problem when transferring large files. Because of this, I have installed. it. As a result, I strongly recommend you use this external solid state drive with a file transferring utility for maximal speed.

The other major feature is the rugged design. Prior to getting this drive, I read some other reviews and some complaints about the rugged design. Some say that it doesn’t really work and I have had the first hand opportunity to experience what they mean. The rugged design isn’t a truly rugged surface. Instead, this drive comes with a detachable rubber sleeve designed to absorb shock when dropped on the ground or come in contact with a hard surface. Once this sleeve is removed, then the drive isn’t rugged anymore and can break quite easily. I do not recommend removing the sleeve as each time you remove it, the sleeve loosens up. I can even feel my current rubber sleeve being loosened because of this. As a result, it doesn’t provide a truly ...

• LaCie Rugged USB3.0 256GB SSD Thunderbolt Series
      strong protection. To be honest though, I do feel a little bit disappointed knowing that the rugged surface isn’t truly rugged in the sense of rubber shock absorber combined with hardened plastic or metal encasing.

There are actually three more features. However, these are actually standard across all LaCie devices so I wouldn’t really consider them features. The first one is the automatic backup which is essentially just a backup utility. I haven’t used this mainly because I want to keep my backups as generic as possible. Instead, I just use a 7zip simple ultra compression backup because it gives me the flexibility to extract and restore my files through multiple utilities rather than get stuck on just one. I have tried to use the 256AES encryption feature known as the Private-Public. Like my LaCie Fastkey, the software installed unsuccessfully and I ended up not using it at all. Their support wasn’t very helpful the last time so I just avoided contacting support again. I find this very frustrating because this software essentially doesn’t work ever again if you can’t get it right the first time. There aren’t a lot of options to configure this software to be installed differently. The final feature is the Wuala online storage. I already have an account so I simply just signed up to another account using another email and got another 10GB of free storage. This storage is only for one year and then I have to pay once it is up.

My overall impression of this drive is quite positive. I find that even with the removable sleeve the drive is quite well built. However, I find that this drive is not without its vulnerability points. If the drive does not fall in contact with the sides but rather on the large flat surface, it will potentially damage the internal data stored as the rugged rubber band does not protect the sides. Then again, it is quite unlikely for the drive to be dropped flatly so I’m not too concerned. I would like it better for the truly rugged design rather than the current.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 337021602020528/k2311a027/2.7.13