Source Code 2011 Movie  » Movies  »
  • And I would like to say that the actual plot impressed me positively
  • The interesting manner of presentation of this state has some echoes with other movies
  • But I think that Source Code would actually be a weaker film than 12 Monkeys
  • Even though I have mentioned several weak points of this film, I still think that it is a very good film overall, and I recommend it to people who are interested in sci-fi

• by mcguard85

I watched this movie only once, but it made a rather big impression on me nonetheless, and I would like to describe this impression below. I started watching this film without having any idea of what the plot was going it be. I only knew that it was going to be some sci-fi stuff, in most general terms. And I would like to say that the actual plot impressed me positively. The shortest summary of the plot could be something like this: the brain of a dead soldier is used by advanced scientists to manipulate time continuum and penetrate dimensions.

The interesting manner of presentation of this state has some echoes with other movies. First the viewer

sees the protagonist, Stevens, in a messy cell, but he is being continuously sent into a different dimension where he is riding on a train. He is being sent there to find out about where the bomb is on that train, and who is the terrorist who planted that bomb. After numerous attempts he succeeds in his mission.

And it is then that we find out that this Stevens is not actually alive, and that only his brain is kept functioning by advanced equipment. The reason why this was touching is that it sounded rather sinister, cold. It is this idea of being dead, and yet experiencing things. The main section of the plot reminded me of the plot of Twelve Monkeys film.

In both films, the protagonist is being sent from a dystopia to a different dimension (past or different dimension entirely) to prevent a disaster. But I think that Source Code would actually be a weaker film than 12 Monkeys. Source Code is more basic, there is not so much elaboration of the plot, and once you begin to suspect that Stevens is dead, and only his brain is functioning, your interest begins to wane. I would like to complain about the ending of the film.

What was that twist about? So, we find out, as it happens, that Stevens is dead, and that there is only his brain in that incubator.

• Source Code 2011 Movie
      So, he is saying, Send me to that past dimension one more time, and then I will die. But, after his last trip ends, that alternative dimension does not dissolve, and he remains to live in this alternative world and reality. And I just thought: And how is that possible.

It was such a blatant attempt to superimpose a happy ending where it really does not fit. I think that almost all of the actors did a great job in this movie. Jake Gyllenhaal did rather well, even though I did not think it was superb or perfect. Michelle Monaghan did a great performance.

I think that she is a really talented actress, and here she was

superb. She looked so gorgeous, and her acting was very strong, and she introduced her usual charm into the mix as well. I did not enjoy the acting of Vera Farmiga. She was blank, and did not bring anything in, and looked kind of weak, not convincing.

She could have brought character to her crucial role in this film, to the character to which so much attention goes, but she was barely there I think. Jeffrey Wright created a nice vivid role of an ambitious talented, maybe somewhat sinister and selfish scientist. Even though I have mentioned several weak points of this film, I still think that it is a very good film overall, and I recommend it to people who are interested in sci-fi.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 115021601870728/k2311a025/2.5.13