The Bourne Legacy by Eric Van Lustbader book
  • I wrote a review earlier on The Bourne Legacy, the movie, and after being disappointed for about two hours, I decided to read the book
  • So that was just a quick summary of the book and now to what I think of it
  • We get to see a variety of characters trying to accomplish their own goal and when these goals conflict, we get something very interesting
  • Other than that, I would definitely recommend the book over the movie

• by MisterTickle

I wrote a review earlier on The Bourne Legacy, the movie, and after being disappointed for about two hours, I decided to read the book. I purchased the book from Amazon for $9.95. I had a few other books as well so this allowed me to qualify for the Super Saver Shipping option. After the order, the book only took two days to arrive and I began reading it. The book two me almost two days to finish reading and I loved every bit of it.

This is the first book written by Eric Van Lustbader. I find that this is a much easier read than Robert Ludlum’s first three books mainly because there aren’t as many

subsections and multiple time frame and destinations to work with at the same time.

Without giving too much of the story away, I actually like the book over the movie. Eric Van Lustbader still managed to incorporate the government chasing down Jason Bourne, while Jason Bourne is trying to complete a mission of his own. This is surprising because as it turns out, Jason Bourne isn’t taking down the government this time. This adds a lot more creativity because it’s now a three party war going on. The government is chasing Jason Bourne for a crime he did not commit, once again not too surprising here, but now Jason Bourne is trying to find and take

down the man who framed him. This story sounds straightforward enough when another extreme factor is added. Not only is the government after Bourne, but so is another supposedly world class assassin. This spices things up a bit, which is nice as it adds to the intensity of the story.

So that was just a quick summary of the book and now to what I think of it. The book has a lot more moving parts than the actual movie, which is quite nice. We get to see a variety of characters trying to accomplish their own goal and when these goals conflict, we get something very interesting. The first half of the story was very ...

• The Bourne Legacy by Eric Van Lustbader book
      straightforward of Jason Bourne narrowly missing death, but the second half of the book is where it all gets interesting. I can’t really say what happens, because that will ruin it, but it is quite a shocker. When Jason Bourne rediscovers his past, he seems to handle it quite nicely. First there is the anger and denial, then comes the acceptance and regrets. As a character that’s not supposed to get emotional, Jason Bourne (aka. David Webb) does, which is rather interesting just to read about.

Like Robert Ludlum, Eric Van Lustbader also has a knack at building up suspense by offering the reader a piece of information not known to the characters in the book.

I find this really frustrating, but also excited trying to figure out how the characters will act. Nevertheless, this is a very effective tool to build suspense and Eric Van Lustbader uses it well to draw in the reader’s attention.

Overall, I liked the book except for a couple of pages. I’m not sure why the author chose to have a one paragraph scene especially when I find that it doesn’t reveal anything important. These very short scenes don’t come up very often, but I never really understood why it’s there. To me, they seem quite redundant and the story moves along just fine without them. Other than that, I would definitely recommend the book over the movie.

Andrew Leither says :

The Bourne Legacy by Eric Van Lustbader. I think I’ve seen the Bourne Legacy movie, but I most certainly read the book I can guarantee that nobody who loves real characters and good action will be disappointed I both loved the movie and the book.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171021601650728/k2311a021/2.1.13