Crosley CR2413A Vinyl Record Player  » Electronics  »
  • I bought this device at the local retail store for $420, though I could buy it for $399 via online
  • The problem is, you don't see much of it on a CD cover
  • Another thing about vinyl records may be their curse, but I see it as their privilege, and it's about listening experience
  • It always surprises me how many songs I can re-reveal as something I like by patiently trying to understand them as something whole, not just a bunch of riffs, solos, verses or choruses
  • In the light of the device's internal functionality, I don't think it looks coherent

• by Vince Eightt

I bought this device at the local retail store for $420, though I could buy it for $399 via online. I just fell in love with the way it looked and wanted it to get it without waiting even a second more.

Well, it’s been a long time since this thought has been wandering in my mind, but now I can finally say it: I’m sick and tired of this whole iTunes thing. I’m sick of buying air. I’m sick of buying 256 kbps AACs that sound like worn-out cassette tape in any decent headphone/soundcard pair.

With a CD, I at least get a booklet. And it can be a booklet that’s pleasant to browse through or even look at. After all, you get something that reminds you

of the days you liked the music you bought.

I’m very interested in album covers. An album cover can be a work of real art, and I do collect such covers. The problem is, you don’t see much of it on a CD cover. With a vinyl record, it’s a different story. I’ve been into vinyl records for almost five years now, and I can say that album art really add up a lot to how the music on the record is perceived. It’s always fun to play a record and see your friends sitting on the sofa browsing through a stack of LP’s showing them to each other and discussing them.

Another thing about vinyl records may be their curse, but I see it as their privilege, and it’s about listening experience. You can’t just click through tracks or fast-forward to the middle of the song, which means listening discipline. Listening to a song from start from finish is the easiest way to go, so that’s the way I always do. It always surprises me how many songs I can re-reveal as something I like by patiently trying to understand them as something whole, not just a bunch of riffs, solos, verses or choruses.

Crosley CR2413A is an all-in-one solution to vinyl record playback in these days. It has a turntable, a cassette deck, a CD player (which is a CD recorder as well and it can play mp3 CDs), an AM/FM Radio, a remote control, a USB out to transfer your vinyl records to MP3 ...

• Crosley CR2413A Vinyl Record Player
      or uncompressed WAVs, and a pair of built-in loudspeakers. What else would you need, if you had all this stuff right out of the box? Maybe a better sound quality. But mind you, it is good enough for a portable device, and it’s never too late to make it even better by connecting it to external loudspeakers or headphones.

Speaking of external loudspeakers, the device has certain drawbacks when it comes to connectivity. It only features one L/R line in and out and a USB out. In the light of the device’s internal functionality, I don’t think it looks coherent. The problem can be solved by connecting it with an inexpensive mixer and then active loudspeaker or headphones (through a headphone amp).

Crosley CR2413A is easy to use, easy to

take care of, easy to lift and to move. The sound quality is quite decent and its internal speakers are loud enough for a medium-sized lounge room. Its design is just stunning, and can be a valuable part of interior decor.

Crosley CR2413A comes with software for ripping and editing audio from LPs and cassettes. To be honest, I’m not impressed: the software doesn’t offer much in terms of functionality and is not quite easy to use. Even stuff you can download for free like Crystal audio engine (2004 version) seems to be better.

In overall, you should buy it if you’re not a Hi-Fi enthusiast: if you don’t want much in terms of quality - go for it and you’ll get way more than you wanted in terms of quantity.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1623011600900531/k2311a0123/1.23.13