The Verve: This Is Music The Singles 92 - 98  » Music  »
  • I don't own many of their singles, hence why I decided to buy this album
  • Yes, it's a greatest hits compliation, but it's one of the best greatest hits compilations
  • Sonnet is perhaps my second favourite ballad on the album
  • I would recommend this album to people who appreciate good music with emotion and feeling

• by Emma Dyer

I love The Verve. They’re sound is similar to that of Oasis, very haunting and thought provoking. This is their greatest hits album. I don’t own many of their singles, hence why I decided to buy this album. The album is simply amazing. The standout track for me is “The Drugs Don’t Work”, which was Richard’s ode to his father who died of cancer a few years back. The song is about someone who is seriously ill and how the drugs don’t work, they can’t be saved. My father also died of cancer so this

is a song I can relate to. It may make you feel somewhat uncomfortable but it’s a beautiful piece of music. Very well written and produced.

Bittersweet Symphony is on this album. Anyone who has seen the film “Cruel Intentions” will be aware of this song. This is an epic piece of music. The lyrics, the melody, the vocals… everything about this song is simply stunning. This is one of those songs that makes you feel instantly happy and free when you hear it. It’s constantly on repeat on my iPod and it’s a great ...

• song for the car too.

This album tugs at my heartstrings. It brings out emotion in me, which is both a good and bad thing. I often listen to it and the dark sombre songs bring back memories of my late father. However the uplifting songs such as “Lucky Man” and “Bittersweet Symphony” lift my spirits in a euphoric way. This is one of those albums that I can play on repeat and never get bored of. Yes, it’s a greatest hits compliation, but it’s one of the best greatest hits compilations. It’s a trip

down memory lane back to the late 1990’s when music was at it’s best. This is classed as good old Britpop, along the lines of Blur and Oasis.

Another great feel good song on this album is “Lucky Man” which is an uplifting tune with a wicked bassline sound. “Sonnet” is perhaps my second favourite ballad on the album. This is another beautiful song with a haunting melody and it’s one of their best known tracks.

I would recommend this album to people who appreciate good music with emotion and feeling. Better than the “music” that’s out today!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1418011600790131/k2311a0118/1.18.13