What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen book  » Books  »
  • My favourite part of What Happened to Goodbye was reading about McLean’s past characters
  • I also enjoyed reading the parts about Luna Blu because to me, McLean’s dad’s job sounds fascinating
  • I found the book a little bit boring in the middle but it definitely picked up again in the end
  • McLean isn’t entirely fond of herself, I believe that one of the reason that contributed to the creation of the tradition of changing her name and personality
  • I would recommend What Happened to Goodbye as a nice, light summer read

• by livvvy75

What Happened to Goodbye is a stand alone novel. It follows a girl named McLean. McLean moves around a lot because her dad works as a chef, fixing up restaurants and always changes her name and personality. She decides her friends and clothing around that. So far she has been Eliza the cheerleader, Lizbet the drama queen and Beth the sweet student councillor. Then when she arrives in her new town, she finds that things are different. Maybe this time she can actually be herself but she will need the help of her neighbour, Dave.

My favourite part of What Happened to Goodbye was reading about McLean’s past characters. I also enjoyed reading the parts about Luna Blu because to

me, McLean’s dad’s job sounds fascinating. It was hard to pick a favourite part because the majority of the book stayed at the same pace and I tend to lean towards the fast paced sections. I found the book a little bit boring in the middle but it definitely picked up again in the end.

The main character of What Happened to Goodbye is McLean Sweet. McLean isn’t entirely fond of herself, I believe that one of the reason that contributed to the creation of the tradition of changing her name and personality. She seemed to hide behind these people that she made up and trade their lives for her own. In one section, she mentioned that she felt a tiny bit embarrassed of her name, that may also be a contributing factor to her shyness. Most of the characters in the book were likeable. One factor that all the characters had in common was that they are very realistic. Most of the characters in Sarah Dessen’s books are. At first I did not like Opal but as the story grew, she seemed to grow on me. Gus Sweet was in my good books from the start, he was kind and had McLean’s interests at heart, even if he wasn’t always able to be there for her.

What Happened to Goodbye is a chick-lit, contemporary, romance, realistic fiction, young adult novel. If you expand the genres, it could even be included ...

• What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen book
      as a coming of age story. What Happened to Goodbye was written by Sarah Dessen. I love novels written by Sarah Dessen, her writing style is very believable and the way she creates her characters to be so dimensional is very good.

I very much enjoyed the book. It is not my favourite of her books, (Just Listen is) but I still enjoyed it all the same. To be completely honest I was not expecting that much to begin with, I only wanted a nice stand alone novel to break up the constant book series. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I did enjoy it as much as I did, there are so many issues included in the story

that I just got absorbed. At first I wasn’t that keen on McLean but as soon as I got into the story I got fond of her. If you find that is your problem as well, just try to stick with the story for a bit longer.

I would recommend What Happened to Goodbye as a nice, light summer read. It is perfect to break up a book series and for reading by the pool. Fans of realistic fiction and chick lit will probably get the most out of this book, if you are not really into those genres , this may not be a good choice for you. However, even though neither of those genres are my favourite, I still really liked the book.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1715011600470531/k2311a0115/1.15.13