Attack the Block (movie)  » Movies  »
  • Tonight I decided that I was going to watch the movie “Attack the Block” even though I heard about it roughly a year ago
  • Nevertheless, tonight after I gave it a try I was very happy that I did, since I thought that it turned out much better than expected
  • The best description of the movie so far would have to be from a review I read about it, where the person described it as how the other ninety nine percent, which of course does not include the government, would handle an alien attack
  • I could tell from the trailer that the movie was low budget and I have grown accustomed to lowering expectations of good acting for any low budget movies I might watch from a matter of experience
  • I would recommend “Attack the Block” to mature people since it contains a lot of violence and graphic language

• by Redtape

Tonight I decided that I was going to watch the movie “Attack the Block” even though I heard about it roughly a year ago. Back then when I had watched the trailer and seen one or two clips of the movie what I saw just did not impress me enough to watch it, despite the good reviews. Nevertheless, tonight after I gave it a try I was very happy that I did, since I thought that it turned out much better than expected.

“Attack the Block” is an English science fiction film with elements of comedy thrown in. In it aliens attack a working class community or what some people would call a ghetto, and a group of young teenage gangsters and woman who they had mugged earlier on in the night try to save the community. The best description of the movie so far would have to

be from a review I read about it, where the person described it as how the other ninety nine percent, which of course does not include the government, would handle an alien attack.

There were several things that I liked about this movie. One of them was the acting. I could tell from the trailer that the movie was low budget and I have grown accustomed to lowering expectations of good acting for any low budget movies I might watch from a matter of experience. However, this one was actually a pleasant surprise since I don’t remember spotting one truly bad actor throughout the movie. Even the little children were very good. Perhaps the actor who stood out the most though would have to be the one who played “Moses” who I believed delivered his performance quite well.

Another thing that I liked about the movie is the appropriateness of the comedic element as well as the comedy itself. I liked the appropriateness because the entire storyline is a weighty one if one considers the amount of conflict that is put into the plot such as child gangsters, broken families, poverty, crime, murder and the idea of aliens attacking the community under the cover of a nationwide celebration and killing its inhabitants.

For example, I thought that one of the funniest scenes was when the stoner walked right into the centre of the conflict after the real gangster and drug dealer killed one of the alien creatures in the elevator and walked right into the group of teenagers running from the gangster and the alien creatures.

There are also a few things that I disliked about the movie even though I don’t think that it will ruin people’s enjoyment of it. The first dislike that comes to ...

• Attack the Block (movie)
      mind would be the special effects or in this case what I believe was computer generated imagery done to create the aliens. I believe that the very first one was not done to badly although that one looked as if it were literally made in an art department. However the rest of the aliens were almost laughable. The effects were so bad it shocked me when I first saw them. I can almost swear that many of those aliens reminded me of a furry black rug that I’m afraid of laying out, while their teeth remind me of small blue and white Christmas lights. That truly makes me wonder what some reviewers were referring to when they said that the effects were superb for a low budget movie, especially the aliens.

Another thing that I liked about this movie was how it tends to develop its characters. For

example, while I did not find out much about the nurse except that her boyfriend was doing humanitarian work in Ghana, I did find out about the social backgrounds of the teenagers on the block. For example, there was Moses who had no one but himself since his uncle was gone most of the time. That was revealed based upon what Moses had said as well as when everyone else’s family called to check up on them and Moses did not get a call.

“Attack the Block” is overall a very fun movie that I’m sure people would like to watch as a group. I’ve read reviews where people compare it to movies like “Goonies” and even “ET”, but what I think these people are referring to is the atmosphere of it.

I would recommend “Attack the Block” to mature people since it contains a lot of violence and graphic language.

Matt says :

I’d still say they were a small fraction of society… maybe not the one percent of society who are government people who usually handle alien attacks in the movies, but maybe the five percent of society who are foolhardy enough to go out and try to capture invading aliens on their own. I like how the aliens still had an “animalistic” aspect to them that they weren’t descending to earth from some spaceship, but as some sort of comet fallout instead. Attack The Block is a terrific movie.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115011600450531/k2311a0115/1.15.13