Catching Fire book by Suzanne Collins
  • I get that you don't want to make your main character some overly-perceptive sort who just stays on top of everything without blinking an eye, but I don't think you want to make her stupid, either
  • I liked the set-up of the new arena in this book, and the interesting dynamic between the contestants
  • I enjoyed the bits of humor thrown in here and there, and I appreciated the emotional struggle as I did with the first book
  • I was initially underwhelmed by the first book, just because everyone else raves about it and it's this huge, baffling sensation, but I found this sequel engrossing enough that it's safe to say I'm at least a fan of the series

• by Laura

After reading the first book and at least being hooked enough to want to know what happens, I finally got my hands on a copy of the second installment in the Hunger Games series. And I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I don’t necessarily feel like the writing itself was better than the first, but for some reason I did really enjoy this one. I felt invested

in the characters and I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next, just because it was a fairly high-stakes story this time around, even more-so than the first.

I was a little annoyed with the main character’s thought process sometimes, because she just seemed so oblivious to things that the author made obvious to the reader. I get that you don’t want to make your main character some overly-perceptive sort who just stays on top of everything without blinking an eye, but I don’t think you want to make her stupid, either.

I liked the set-up of the new arena in this book, and the interesting dynamic between the contestants. I enjoyed the bits of humor thrown in here and there, and I appreciated the emotional struggle as I did with the first book.

One thing that did feel a ...

• Catching Fire book by Suzanne Collins
      little disjointed to me was the time-frame of events. The time leading up to the time spent in the arena was pretty dragged-out, leaving the actual time in the arena to feel a bit rushed. This might be okay because otherwise it would just be a repeat of the first book, but it felt a little strange to me.

I’m still not sure if I’m rooting for Gale or

Peeta, but I find the dynamic going on with each of them interesting and investing. We will see what happens in the next installment! Can’t wait to read it! I was initially underwhelmed by the first book, just because everyone else raves about it and it’s this huge, baffling sensation, but I found this sequel engrossing enough that it’s safe to say I’m at least a fan of the series.

Lou says :

I didn t enjoy this one as much as the other books.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1714011600270531/k2311a0114/1.14.13