American Horror Story: Asylum Episode 1
0.5
  • I understand that the show is horror, but if your preference like mine is for horror stories that rely on the story line, and the suspense of what could happen, vs just sheer twisted-ness and shock value, I do not recommend American Horror Story

• by Vital Expressions

Though American Horror Story: Asylum is a fairly popular show, I wanted to warn against it. The show is full of sexual content, and violence. After watching the first episode it is clear that the show relies more on shock value than storyline or suspense building techniques. Think more gore horror, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, than horror built on viewer suspense, like Jaws. I personally found the story line rather predictable, and the shock value scenes appalling.

The first episode contains three scenes with explicit sexual content. Which I warn can also be awkward depending on who

you are watching the show with. I would have felt horribly awkward if I had been watching the show with my Dad for example. One sex scene featured the lead singer Adam Levine from Maroon 5. You see several butts in the show. One scene is a sexual fantasy that a nun is having about a priest.

I also found the graphic violence appalling, such as an arm being ripped off. I understand that the show is horror, but if your preference like mine is for horror stories that rely on the story line, and the suspense ...

• of what could happen, vs just sheer twisted-ness and shock value, I do not recommend American Horror Story.

I was watching the show with my sister, and neither of us liked it. The show opens with a couple breaking into a dilapidated asylum. Less than five minutes into the show they start having sex, and the scene was very graphic. My sister and I were like “Ummmmm…. Ok I just hope this gets better.” Then the guys arm got ripped off, which was disturbing, then the show switched to another couple, and then we had another

sex scene, and my sister and I were like “This is so awkward to watch”. Though the show came highly recommended from my sisters friend, both of us decided that we would watch the end of the episode to see if there was any redeeming qualities, however, there wasn’t so we absolved not to watch it again it was that bad. Basically if you are interested in watching a string of sexual and violent encounters with a somewhat predictable plot line and over the top acting, than this show is for you, otherwise steer clear, as I will be doing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2013. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 107011599490731/k2311a017/1.7.13