Sony Xperia ION
  • As far as I know, this unit only comes in black, so if you love minimalist-looking but not cheap-looking, the ION is great
  • Also, since I don’t mind big phones, I could simply just bring this around in my purse which might be a problem for guys
  • However, I noticed a really notable lag when it’s on autofocus mode
  • I mean, how could I enjoy a 12MP camera if I couldn’t even capture a fast moving scene because it focuses too slow
  • I was happy with my ION being my first Android phone, but when I was able to hold a faster, much bigger phone, and with the battery issue, I switched to Samsung

• by asg

The first time I made my move into Android, I made Sony smartphones my first choice. I opted to get a Sony Xperia ION. I wanted to use this because it had a 4.55 inch, scratch-resistant touch screen that is able to record and play 1280×720 HD movies!

Hardware and Aesthetics: At first glance, I fell in love with the Sony ION because of its minimal look. It comes in just simple black. Unlike the Xperia S, the Sony ION has a metal-brushed finish on its back cover. It does have its function buttons which you tap for home, search, back and options on the bottom. As far as I know, this unit only comes in black, so if you love minimalist-looking but not cheap-looking, the ION is great. The metal-brushed finish as I’ve mentioned looks really good and it looks quite expensive and sturdy and doesn’t look much like plastic. It is 144 grams, not too heavy, and the even if the whole phone is about 5.2 inches long (just a tad smaller than my Galaxy Note 2), at first glance it seems a lot smaller. Possibly because of

the sharp corners? Unlike the Samsung smartphones, this Sony ION’s curves are much less than that of my Note 2. Actually, the ION looks more of a guy’s phone because my husband likes its shape better than Samsung. Whatever it is, I liked the minimalist appeal that Sony did to the ION. Also, since I don’t mind big phones, I could simply just bring this around in my purse which might be a problem for guys. So, if you like big phones, this one is not as big as the Note series, but only a little bit bigger than the Xperia S.

Processing power is good, it has dual processor at 1.5Ghz. didn’t notice so much lag, but noticed that the iOS seems to be much faster. More on that later. Also, this phone has internal 16GB of phone memory, but can be upgradeable to 32GB.

Camera is great! It has a 12MP camera and a 1.3MP camera in front. However, I noticed a really notable lag when it’s on autofocus mode. So, when not in autofocus, it slightly moves faster. However, comparing it to my other Samsung phones (particularly the

Note and Note 2), this one is the slowest. I mean, how could I enjoy a 12MP camera if I couldn’t even capture a fast moving scene because it focuses too slow.

Since this is a Sony phone, I was expecting a great sound output from its speakers. Speaker performance is mediocre. My old Sony K700 or walkman phones sounded so much better and crispier than this new ION.

The buttons that I’ve mentioned at the bottom of the screen is quite a pain to use. It is poorly-lit and not as responsive as my Xperia S or Samsung phone. Sometimes it takes me three to four times of trying just to go to my HOME screen because it simply does not respond to my taps. I hated this part. For some reason, Sony failed in their design in this aspect.

Software: This ION runs Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Being new to the Android world at that time, I found the ICS so much better but a little bit laggier than the Apple iOS. But Android and iOS are both very different operating systems, so I wouldn’t even dare start comparing technical ...

• Sony Xperia ION
      stuff here. I just happened to notice that coming from an Apple iOS, Android ICS is a little bit slower in some way. The home screen’s clock looks really good with its Arial Narrow-ish font, which I really like about Sony. Everything about this phone looks very minimal and posh. No complains on the stock apps like messages or email. Also, if you have a Yahoo calendar synced previously with your iPhone, it’s not gonna happen in Android unless you have the Smart Sync for Yahoo calendar app that you have to purchase.

Battery: All I can say is, the battery of the ION is not as strong as I expected it to be. I am scared to go out without a battery charger because with all the stuff and apps that I can use for my phone, I am unable to last a day without charging again. It cannot last 12 hours in normal wifi use. Compared to my Note 2 which is a monster-phone that could last me for a day (which of course has a larger voltage but still…), this one really was a major let-down.

All in

all, I would describe this Sony ION as a Samsung S3 for people on a budget. This has around Php5,000 difference (roughly $100) compared to the S3, but the processing power is yes, different, yet all other stuff like the screen size are quite similar, but the ION has a much better camera compared to the S3. The screen is quite the norm for the smartphones nowadays, having a 4.6 inch screen and the weight is not much of an issue. The design is okay for me, I like the minimalist look and the size is not also a problem.

I was happy with my ION being my first Android phone, but when I was able to hold a faster, much bigger phone, and with the battery issue, I switched to Samsung. If I hadn’t discovered the Note, I wouldn’t have changed to Samsung. This phone does what I needed it to do but I can never be happy with the battery life. Also, the buttons at the bottom made me want to pull my hair out of dismay. I am now using a Samsung and I don’t have so much complaints about it.

Simranjeet Singh says :

this is the best smartphone i have ever used .its looks,features,backup etc …….made me to buy it

asg replies :

Yes, I agree This is a good and cheaper alternative to the Samsung S3.

pkmachinegun says :

Just wondering, have you tested the connectivity to a PS3 or PS4 now?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3717121597960831/k2311a1217/12.17.12