VIA Rail Canada Short Distance Trip  » Railway  »
VIA Rail - Guelph train station
  • One thing I noticed on the way to Toronto was how the train stopped at smaller towns
  • This is great for those who are travelling between large cities - how convenient

• by Maddy Hunt

As someone who doesn’t own a car, it’s essential for me to find efficient means of travel. Because I’ve had trouble with certain bus lines, I was excited to learn about VIA rail. Buying a ticket was convenient; I could arrange everything online from home, then scan in the printed sheet from a kiosk on-site. Of course, there was a staff member available assisting other customers as well. The frequent departure times made it easy to arrive exactly on time.

Once on board the train, I was surprised at how

comfortable the interior was. The seats were decently spacious, and there was enough room for me and my friends to sit together comfortably. Although my trip wasn’t terribly long - its duration was about an hour and fifteen minutes - it had quite a few comfortable perks. Unlike the bus services I’ve used previously, I had access to WiFi, and was able to pass the time watching videos online. There was even a power socket where I could charge my computer! I was consistently able to use my cellphone with ...

• a perfect signal, making it easy to communicate with those who I intended to meet at my final destination.

One thing I noticed on the way to Toronto was how the train stopped at smaller towns. This is great for those who are travelling between large cities - how convenient! I was certainly impressed.

The only downside I can think of is the price. If you’re travelling for large distances, such as between provinces, I can see how it’d be better to pay for a train ticket than a plane ticket.

However, for a short-distance trip, it was a bit too luxurious. Even with my student discount, my round-trip to and from my destination costed over $40.00. While VIA was a lot nicer than taking the bus, it’s certainly not something I could afford to do on a daily basis.

Overall, I really enjoyed my trip! There was ample storage space for my bags, and I didn’t have to worry about whether or not they were shifting or falling off the shelves. For my next trip, I’d love to take VIA again!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4420111596150430/k2311a1120/11.20.12