LG DoublePlay Cell phone  » Phones  »
2.0
  • It seems a bit much, and the functionality of it is even more mediocre, at least in my opinion
  • I believe that the screens cause the battery to drain a lot faster than it normally would
  • Another thing that I don't like about the device is that it's designed to restrict messages once the memory reaches a certain point
  • I encountered an issue where I wasn't receiving any SMS, and after contacting Tech Support, I learned that it was because of the memory
  • Another aspect that I like is the highly customizable home-screen

• by Jules Li

The LG DoublePlay is not a phone that I’ve been very pleased with! I’ve used several phones within recent years, and considering the fanfare that precipitated it’s release, it has to be one of the most disappointing. For someone that’s unfamiliar with the device, it comes equipped with two screens, and that’s the origin of it’s name. I’m usually a fan of LG, but I really don’t like the DoublePlay’s concept. It seems a bit much, and the functionality of it is even more mediocre, at least in my opinion.

I personally feel like the dual screens are a bit excessive! I’m sure that many people may see it differently. The dual screens are designed to allow multiple tasks at once, but I’m rarely performing more than one task at once. I should mention that the touchscreens generally work very well. After selecting an item,

it responds instantly. I feel that it has the appropriate level of sensitivity. It doesn’t respond to modest unintended swipes, unlike others that I’ve used, which is a plus.

Whenever I’m considering a device, the battery is always of concern to me, in part because I do a ton of traveling. I would say that the battery is second-rate, at best. I believe that the screens cause the battery to drain a lot faster than it normally would. On average I get about three hours of usage. The network tends to switch back and forth between 3G and 4G depending on my network coverage, and I can say that 3G provides far better battery life, due in part to the fact that it doesn’t require as much resources. On 3G I tend to get around 4 hours.

Another thing that I don’t like about the device is that it’s designed to restrict messages once the memory reaches a certain point. I encountered an issue where I wasn’t receiving any SMS, and after contacting Tech Support, I learned that it was because of the memory. Apparently, it’s designed to block messages once you storage space is less than 2 percent. I was a bit surprised by this because I have an external card. However, it only takes the internal memory into account. The external storage space that you have doesn’t matter, because messages go directly to the internal space. This is something that you should keep in mind if you run into this problem.

With the LG DoublePlay, I can say that all aspects are not unsatifying, because I actually enjoy using it as a modem. I’ll say up front that the tethering is a bit different from other devices that I’ve tethered. When ...

• LG DoublePlay Cell phone
      the device is plugged into my PC, it isn’t automatically recognized. After repeated setbacks, I came across the driver for it, and it worked fine. You should keep in mind that the driver is separate from the device software. T-Mobile, which is my carrier, doesn’t have the driver, so I had to download it via LG.com. Now, I also want to mention that you’re not able to tether the device, while at the same time accessing it’s device memory. This was a bit disappointing for me, because I wanted to be able to access the internet, while directly downloading to the memory card, but unfortunately this is inconceivable, at least with the latest software version. I would compare the browsing speeds while tethering to low level DSL speeds. I have a 4G connection, and my download speeds are at 1.5 MBPS, and uploads are at
      300 KBPS. It’s not a bad connection, but you should have reasonable expectations.

Another aspect that I like is the highly customizable home-screen. I believe it’s an awesome feature, because you can easily make changes without flipping through multiple settings. When you want to add some to the screen, you simply touch and hold an area of the screen, and then it gives the option to add widgets, shortcuts and wallpapers. Occasionally, I’ll encounter a frozen screen after adding widgets, but this can be resolved by simply restarting. I also like being able to see the changes being made in real-time, which is a huge plus.

It’s priced at around 100 dollars, which includes a contract. I would have liked to give better news on the DoublePlay, but it just didn’t meet my expectations. If you’re thinking about buying it, you should certainly take all aspects into consideration.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3719111596040730/k2311a1119/11.19.12