Greyhound Bus Service
1.0
  • The first irritating experience that I encountered was in Springfield, Missouri at the bus terminal
  • The cost is usually only $30 to $60 more than Greyhound

• by Zoey7879

Greyhound bus service is an utter nightmare and I will NEVER travel using their services again!

I was set to take a late night bus departing from Springfield, Missouri with Springfield, Illinios as my destination. I was due to have a 45 minute layover in St. Louis where I would then transfer to another bus. The first irritating experience that I encountered was in Springfield, Missouri at the bus terminal.

The three employees operating the terminal were smug. Although the station only had three passengers waiting to board when I arrived hours early for my bus, they corralled us all into one small area of the station, making it so that we could not even enjoy the television. That aside, the ride to St. Louis was uneventful.

When I arrived in St. Louis, it was impossible to find the terminals as they were marked on my ticket. My ticket had each terminal identified with numbers, while inside the station they were identified with letters and by some major

destinations. Greyhound employees were coming off of buses as they pulled into the terminals. I addressed three different drivers attempting to find my correct bus – None of them helped. One employee simply told me to put my bags “over there” and they would load them. My bags had leather covered travel tags on them.

I boarded the bus that I *THOUGHT* I was supposed to be on, still unsure if I was on the right bus because the driver standing outside of it refused to take the time to answer me with a “Yes” or “No.” One employee said that they had never heard of my destination city. When I boarded the bus, the other passengers boarding were just as confused as I was, uncertain if they were on the correct bus as well. Moments before the bus was pulling out, I realized that the employees had not loaded my luggage into the undercarriage.

I managed to get the driver to stop and an

employee outside took a loud tone with me stating that the bag, which contained medical equipment, did not have a Greyhound issued tag on it (You know those little cardboard things that tear off real easy?!) so they did not load it. The driver did not allow anyone time to load it either – I was forced to carry this bag full of oxygen supplies on MY LAP for the duration of the trip!

The bus was crowded and the seats very small. Even though I was seated next to a child, he was literally on my right arm and upper body for most of the trip. In fact, passengers share a common armrest in between them. There is very little room in your lap if the passenger ahead of you has slightly reclined their seat. Let’s just say that between the reclined seat in front of me, the oxygen supplies I was forced to have in my lap, and the kid asleep practically on ...

• Greyhound Bus Service
      top of me that it was a very miserable ride.

I had been on the bus for more than thirty minutes when the driver finally confirmed, as part of his driver destination announcements, that I was on the right bus. Yet he could not confirm that for me before I boarded the bus? I looked at my cell phone and realized why. The bus had arrived and departed more than fifteen minutes ahead of schedule. Had I actually went to get the “station tags” that the bag attendant complained I did not have, I would have missed my bus. I could hear other passengers talking quietly about their terrible experience in dealing with Greyhound personnel that night as well.

Greyhound may service areas that Amtrak does not, but if driving or taking Amtrak is an option, DO IT!! Greyhound bus service often overbooks their trips, leaving passengers stranded for 8+ hours to wait on the next arrival. The seating is very uncomfortable with very little room

to move your arms anywhere except in front of you – Unless you enjoy posing like a chicken! The bathrooms are very tiny and there are no changing rooms for those who are on the same bus overnight or for an extended period of time. A couple of service routes by Greyhound feature WiFi Internet access and electrical outlets, but the majority do not.

In comparison, Amtrak bathrooms are roomy and comfortable. They have a dining and lounge car. The seating is very roomy. Amtrak long distance train routes usually offer pillows for passengers. These trains typically have electrical outlets available at each seat and even feature roomy changing rooms. The cost is usually only $30 to $60 more than Greyhound. I make it a point to not visit a destination where Greyhound will be my only mass transit option.

I’m sorry but Greyhound Bus Service, you fail to live up to my expectations with your high cost, crowded rides and staff with horrendous customer service skills. Greyhound, you SUCK!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 255111594820930/k2311a115/11.5.12