Sony Walkman S-544 Series 8 MP3 Player-8GB
  • I've used many, some good and some bad, but I would certainly place this version amongst the best that I've experienced
  • I should add that it's not only an MP3 player, but it's also a video player, so I believe it's worth the price
  • I've owned it for approximately five months, and it's been amazing
  • I decided to settle for the more subtle black, but the others have a wonderful look as well
  • It's a constant problem with this model, so if you have the problem, I would recommend giving this a try

• by Jules Li

I’m always on the look out for the latest MP3 players and I was really enamored by the Walkman S-544 when I initially saw it. I’ve used many, some good and some bad, but I would certainly place this version amongst the best that I’ve experienced. I purchased this from K-Mart for a price of 80 dollars. Looking back on the purchase, I don’t believe the price was bad at all. I should add that it’s not only an MP3 player, but it’s also a video player, so I believe it’s worth the price. I’ve owned it for approximately five months, and it’s been amazing!

I want to mention that it’s available in many colors including black, blue, and yellow. I decided to settle for the more subtle black, but the others have a wonderful look as well. I do want to mention that this Walkman is a bit heavier than the Ipod Touch and others that I’ve experienced. According to my specs it weighs approximately 2.7

ounces. There’s a 2.4 inch LCD screen. It’s not huge, but I really like this screen. When using it you’ll notice that the screen has a glossy finish, which helps to repel scratches and dust. It also works well to eliminate light reflections that may appear on the screen. The exact name for this particular type is QVGA, and this was my first device with this particular screen.

One particular aspect that I like about it is that it comes with headphones and built in speakers. There is a switch on the side that allows you to switch been speakers and headphones. One thing that I do want to point out is that the speakers and headphones aren’t controlled by the same volume mechanism. If you switch from headphones to speakers, you have to the adjust the volume to the desired level. It’s not like a laptop where you simply unplug the headphones and the volume remains the same.

I don’t believe the audio playback could be any better! The built in speakers are located on both ends of the device and this helps to provide a more equalized amount of bass and treble, which is a plus when listening to audio. When listening to a song, one speaker plays mainly stereo and the other plays bass. Of course you can adjust the settings, but this provides a much better listening experience. It also has an FM radio, which is customary for most MP3 players, but it also has the capability of recording radio audio, which is a plus.

The initial setup was without much difficulty. I have Windows XP installed onto my computer and it’s recognized without installing any additional software. After going through the setup, I learned that it’s incompatible if you don’t have Media Player 11 installed. I updated from Media player 10 to 11, and I was then able to transfer files with any issues. I’m an avid Itunes user, and I was also glad to ...

• Sony Walkman S-544 Series 8 MP3 Player-8GB
      learn that it’s compatible with Itunes content transfer. Itunes of course uses DRM-free files, and the converter software actually converts them to Sony Walkman format automatically, which is a convenience. On average it takes about 1-2 minutes to convert the files and store them onto the device. I expected that it would take a bit longer so I was actually pleased by this.

I want to mention that the S-544 supports several file formats, some of which that are not listed on the specs. It does function well with AVC files, which is beneficial for me personally. AVC files are for compressed videos, and I have several of these, and I was glad to know that I wouldn’t have to convert them to different formats. It also supports JPEG, MPEG and MP4 files.

In terms of usability, I have no complaints whatsoever. I love the software layout, which makes it relatively easy to use. It has a 5-way control button that reminds me a lot of

the Ipod. The buttons are completely flat, and they are very responsive as well.

I’ve made several positive comments about the S-544, and I don’t want to imply that it doesn’t have it’s downsides. One notable issue that I had was with MP3 playback. After contacting Tech Support I learned that this model has a known issue that causes no audio during playback. This would occur with several files so I wanted to find a solution. I found out that this was actually a licensing issue. The issue originates when the file is converted and it doesn’t transfer the license as well. To resolve this issue I updated the track licenses via Rhapsody, and the problem was solved. It’s a constant problem with this model, so if you have the problem, I would recommend giving this a try.

When all dimensions are considered, I believe it’s an awesome MP3 player! They playback is exceptional, and it’s one of the best that I’ve owned. Two thumbs up, I highly recommend it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161111594490930/k2311a111/11.1.12