Grave Encounters horror movie  » Movies  »
2.5
  • In fact, I'm sure it is one of the best straight to DVD films out there, but that is not so hefty of a compliment considering most of those films are awful
  • It is not awful, and if you need to kill some time there is nothing terribly wrong with this film, but I don't highly recommend any of you go out and watch it

• by Trey C.

Recently, I was with a group of friends and we were searching for a scary movie to watch. We were looking through the Netflix “instant viewing” horror page, and one of my friends picked out the film Grave Encounters. It was a straight to DVD horror film, and it is one of those “found footage” films, so I must say that I did not have very high expectations. Honestly, I didn’t really want to watch it at all, but since it is what my friend picked

we decided to watch it.

In all honesty, it wasn’t awful, but it certainly wasn’t great. It is typically rut of the mill stuff, nothing that you haven’t seen before. That being said, it delivered a few chills and jump-scares, and wasn’t as bad as half the horror films out there.

The film is supposedly all “real, unedited” footage. It follows a crew of paranormal investigators who enter an asylum, which is apparently haunted, to film a TV episode. So, apparently the film we are watching is the raw footage from that venture.

That is one thing that really bothers me about this type of film, but especially this one. It claims to be raw and unedited footage, but they are not even consistent. There are certain scenes in this film that are CLEARLY edited. Not that you would believe it is true footage either way, but it just makes it a higher quality of film if it claims to be unedited and actually appears as such.

Anyways, the film takes way too long to ...

• Grave Encounters horror movie
      take off. The first thirty minutes my friends and I were just sitting there, waiting for the scares.

Once it does take off, however, the film has its frightening moments. It is mostly jump scares, but there is also quite a creepy atmosphere. Personally, being an avid viewer of horror, nothing in this film truly affected me. However, many of my friends were thoroughly frightened from it.

It is not the worst horror film you will ever see. In fact, I’m sure it is one of the best

“straight to DVD” films out there, but that is not so hefty of a compliment considering most of those films are awful.

Overall, Grave Encounters has its moments, but it is mostly an overplayed, inconsistent “found footage” straight to DVD film. I give it a 5 out of 10. It is not awful, and if you need to kill some time there is nothing terribly wrong with this film, but I don’t highly recommend any of you go out and watch it. There are much scarier, more well-done films out there.

Andrew Leither says :

The film is supposedly all real, unedited footage. It follows a crew of paranormal investigators who enter an asylum, which is apparently haunted, to film a TV episode. I thought this part was good and really excellent. “Grave Encounters” I have not seen, but this sounds really helpful, entertaining and fun I am looking forward to seeing this soon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1131101594421031/k2311a1031/10.31.12